Can E6 Reversal stock 100D (7285) Be processed in a Photo Therm Super Sidekick?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Gareth North

Gareth North
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 06:41 PM

Thinking about home processing Kodak 7285 Reversal stock using Photo Therm SK8G Super Sidekick! Help!

Refernce site http://www.phototherm.com/

Hi all i've been a big follower for the past 2 years of this website and www.film-tech.com (always wanted to be a projectionist in another life) and have never had the need to post a message either there or here before but then i've never had an idea the like of this before. I need a bit of help in seeing if i can be an entirely self sufficent filmaker.

For those who aren't aware 7285 super 16mm stock or its 35mm equivalent 5285 stock is the first motion piture film stock kodak have released that is designed to be processed in it's fairly new E6 process. The stock is basically the latest reversal film from Kodak which gives a positive image on film. E6 processors only have 6 chemical stages to develop the film compared with Kodakchromes 14 stage process so processing it at home is viable?

The E6 process i belive historically was invented to speed up the processing time of slide film and originally started being used on film for 35mm still cameras. E6 is the replacement for the VNF process for reversal films which has been discontinued.

Despite this stock being released in June/July 2004 very few people have actually shot with it it seems which is a shame. I love shooting kodak 7285 reversal stock i don't shoot anything else now. It is simply put beautiful! It has the film look i've always wanted! deep rich blues in skys, brilliant greens in grass. Over saturated everything! It looks amazing and nothing like any other stock Kodak make! I think if lots more people tried it they would love it as much as i do. I've shot lots of Kodakchrome 40 in the little yelow packets before and that's a nice stock as well with nice colour and i'll no doubt use it again but it's more on a naturalistic tonal scale. Don't get me wrong 7285 isn't like way out and wacky it just makes everything so bright and poppy and lovely! You have to see it to get it, desribing it doesnt really do it justice! Whereas dull days in Kodachrome 40 look really flat and erksome dull and overcast days in 7285 look dramatic and full of life.

With the advent of digital technology melding with film i don't feel i need to shoot neg anymore. Reversal gives me lots more possibilities. I can get a postitive copy back i can carefully look at it on my steenbeck or project it for freinds family and fellow film people. I'm thinking about getting a telecine outfit from moviestuff so i can be entirely self sufficient. All i want to do in the future is just call kodak to drop off film and chemicals and i do everyhing else myself.

I've always wanted to get to know one stock inside out know how much you can push process it, when it starts to do silouteets, how it handles shadows, etc etc and begin to rely more on the eye rather than light meter to expose it. No one i've shown the work i've done on 7285 has so far figured out it's not actaully neg they all think i've just tweaked the colours in the telecine stage. A number of people i have shown a work in progress to by projecting my original film (don't worry i'd already telecine'd it) have been open mouthed (they expected a video preview). Film really does make projected video look naff by comparison but this stock made the preview even more of an impact.

The main problem though is cost of processing it's more expensive than neg. I want to find a way to get this cost down. Seeing as i shoot so much of it i was thinking of buying an E6 developer. If i was able to get this i would be enirely self sufficient. It would enable me to do things like load a spool with say just 10ft of film for a timelapse shoot and get it processed at home that day and view the results immediatly. That would be great. At the moment i shoot a lot but normally wait until i've shot around 5 400ft rolls before i take the trip to the lab. This means it may be a few months before i actually see what i've shot and even though i take notes there's nothing like seeing the images the day you shoot them to know where you went wrong. It would cut down on all the postage and packaging costs and the worry that 3 months works isn't going to go missing in the mail.

I have been reading all kodaks documentation on the E6 process and it's rather scary. I'm a techny nerd in another field computers but not chemicals. I don't mind taking on the obiously steep learning curve of this but i just don't want to spend lots of money on results which turn out to be poor.

Some Questions

1) I can certainly cut my 400ft rolls of 7285 up and put them on 4 x 100ft daylight loading spools they i'm sure would fit into the Super sidekick loading tray but would it process them?
2) Is the E6 process it does the full E6 or does it skip some steps!
3) Am i nuts for doing this? Does anyone else do this?
4) Do you think it will work out cheaper than the lab who charge me currently £120 per 400ft load to process.
5) Does anyone else know someone who processes E6 film cheaply in the UK?
6) What do i do with the chemicals when there spent? I cannot keep tipping replenisher into the tanks all the time or can i?
7) What do i do with the chemicals in the tanks when they go bad?
8) I've read somewhere that unmixed E6 chemicals can be stored in a cool dry place for 6 months is this true?
9) Is there some lab course i can go on to learn about all this or is this too niche a thing now?
10) Does this machine actually do good results! Or is this going to be a Bromide Drag of a thing!

Thanks for Reading

Gareth

Filmaker from the uk.

#2 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 21 February 2006 - 11:32 AM

From the on-line literature, the Super SideKick appears to be a drum processor, with automatic control of the solutions, washes, and replenishment. It does not appear that you can load motion-picture lengths (100 feet long) into the machine.

Here is a list of labs that have told Kodak they offer processing of KODAK EKTACHROME 100D Color Reversal Film:

http://www.kodak.com...4.6.4.6.4&lc=en

For example, in the UK, Film and Photo Ltd.:

http://www.film-phot...o.uk/colrev.htm

#3 Gareth North

Gareth North
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2006 - 07:20 PM

Hi John.

Thanks for helping me! I've read you posts on both film-tech and this website and there always well informed and helpfull. The UK lab you mention in your post is the lab i actually go to!

I do like them and they always do an excellent job. The reason i want to do it myself is mainly becuase of the worry of loosing something in the mail. Haven't lost anything yet but i keep thinking it's only a matter of time! and two becuase it would be nice to be self sufficent and have the immediacy of instantly seeing what you've shot.

I thought it might not be able to do my minimum requirement of 100ft. I thought there might be some way of making a custom spindle to hold the film. I did a bit of maths after your post and that machine does 4 rolls of 35mm i assume 36 exposures a roll i believe that works out to only 9feet! So way under what i would need it to do!

How's about this then?

http://www.brayimagi...rs/e-series.htm

I was originally thinking of getting myself a Bray processor but they are very expensive and unlike the photo therm machine you never see them come up for sale on ebay Period!

Do you think the results from this processor would offer anything that would be comparable to using a proper lab?

How can it process from 8mm to 70mm? I take it it uses pinch rollers to get the film in and out?

Regards

Gareth

Opal

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks