13 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 21 February 2006 - 07:04 PM

Hi All,

I thought you might be interested to look at my new Konvas 1M to PL Mount conversion. It's pictured here with a Zeiss prime mounted on.

Also the camera has been converted to Super 35mm, and the ground glass has been upgraded to show, 1.85, Academy, and Super 35mm. Not too many Konvas cameras kicking around with that feature! Also shown is the better 17EPK motor that one normally sees on the 2M.

This will just be my personal camera for field work. I still have to rent the 435 for my next shoot unfortunately as I need high speed, and the Konvas camera can not offer 100fps+. This cameras tiny size and light weight will let it go where many other 35mm cameras can not.

With the capability to accept the best lenses in the world, how will the image from my cheap camera differ from the 435 for MOS 24fps work??????

So bring it on you HD weenies, my cheapo junky crappy Russian camera can now take on your $200,000.00 HD cameras and kick their butts!!! :)

R,

Attached Images

• Konvas_Wide.jpg
  • Konvas_MedA.jpg
  • Konvas_Tight.jpg

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 February 2006 - 07:10 PM

An odd-looking camera... assuming that the registration is good, there would be no difference in quality from any other 35mm camera.

What did the Konvas and then the mount conversion, new groundglass, etc. cost you total?

#3 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 21 February 2006 - 07:37 PM

Registration is excellent 98% of the time :) The other 2% of the time you hope it does not go out during a critical shot. By go out, I don't mean any thing drastic, maybe a little bounce.

I'll PM you the costs. All work was done in LA by a professional cine tech. This is handy since if I have any problems I can send it to LA via overnight Fedex to get fixed.

R,

#4 Sean Morris

Sean Morris
  • Sustaining Members
  • 83 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney / Australia

Posted 22 February 2006 - 12:50 AM

Hi Richard,

I was too.. at one stage thinking of going PL mount for my Konvas, but I spent way too much
on buying lomo lenses and the cost of converting my fav ones to PL mount would of been too high.

I didn't like the original Konvas lens mount on my camera, it was way too sloppy, so I sent the camera
to Bruce at Aranda Film in Melbourne for a stainless steel mount and a new paint job, later I had the idea
of a handle which I asked Bruce to make, he did an excellent job with everything!..

Cheers
Sean Morris

Attached Images

• Blue_Konvas.jpg

#5 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 22 February 2006 - 11:46 AM

A blue Konvas now that's original!

R,

#6 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3059 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 February 2006 - 12:07 PM

Richard,

Did you consider having an OCT-19 mount put on the new turret as well as the PL, or was that not an option?

#7 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 February 2006 - 01:25 PM

Nice work; did Anatoly at Slow Motion do the mod?

#8 Thomas Worth

Thomas Worth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 February 2006 - 02:40 PM

Also the camera has been converted to Super 35mm, and the ground glass has been upgraded to show, 1.85, Academy, and Super 35mm.

Hey Richard, I too have a Super-35 gate (full aperture, really) for my Konvas, but I noticed that the shutter doesn't quite cover it completely. There is a small area at the top right of the aperture (when viewing the camera from the rear, with the mag off) that is always letting light through. Do you have this on your camera as well? If you wouldn't mind, it would be awesome if you could give me the dimensions in millimeters of the aperture on your S35 gate. Perhaps the height of the aperture is slightly less than mine.

I'm also wondering if you can see everything in the viewfinder. My prism has marks for academy 1.37:1 and 1.85:1, but I'm not sure I can see the entire S35 area on the prism. Did you need to have the viewfinder optics shifted to see the whole area? Thanks!

#9 DEMUTIGER

DEMUTIGER
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2006 - 03:09 PM

Hi Richard,

Nice camera. Was the lens mount recentered as well for the Super 35 format?

Ian

#10 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 22 February 2006 - 04:20 PM

Answers for all below, thanks for your interest:

"Did you consider having an OCT-19 mount put on the new turret as well as the PL, or was that not an option?"

I did not consider that as I just want to use Zeiss Ultra Primes in PL Mount from now on.

"Nice work; did Anatoly at Slow Motion do the mod?"

Yes Anatoly at slomo did the work. He calls his creation a 3M.

"Hey Richard, I too have a Super-35 gate (full aperture, really) for my Konvas, but I noticed that the shutter doesn't quite cover it completely. There is a small area at the top right of the aperture (when viewing the camera from the rear, with the mag off) that is always letting light through. "

I just checked my camera from looking through the back. The shutter completely covers the S35 gate and then some. This issue is talked about on the RAF camera site. When the PL Mount is put on the tech needs to re center the mount for S35, which Anatoly says he did. I think just adding a S35 gate to an off the shelf Konvas can cause the issue you're refering to. Don't quote me on any of this, I'm not a tech :)

As for the dimensions of the gate, I'll need to find some thing to measure it with the precision you require.

"I'm also wondering if you can see everything in the viewfinder. My prism has marks for academy 1.37:1 and 1.85:1, but I'm not sure I can see the entire S35 area on the prism. Did you need to have the viewfinder optics shifted to see the whole area? Thanks!"

Anatoly re did the viewing optics so that I can see the S35 framing in the viewfinder. He has three squares in there when I look through. The 1.85 is a solid elongated box, the S35 has higher dotted lines above the Academy markings and the 1.85. Anatoly says this is a $600.00 upgrade he did for free.

So if you're buying a unit from him, ask him about that :)

Ok well back to Canada vs Russia in the men's hockey quarter finals. 0-0 at the end of the 2nd. Oh my gosh all of Canada is on pins and needles.

I like the Russian cameras, but not the Russian hockey team :)

R,

#11 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 23 February 2006 - 03:45 AM

When the PL Mount is put on the tech needs to re center the mount for S35, which Anatoly says he did.

Richard,

I am interested if the Ultra Prime 16mm will clear the shutter. Sometimes moving the lens center, limits the lenses that will fit.

Cheers,

Stephen

#12 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 23 February 2006 - 02:21 PM

Richard,

I am interested if the Ultra Prime 16mm will clear the shutter. Sometimes moving the lens center, limits the lenses that will fit.

---Konvas shutters are below the lens and horizontal, whereas Arri II* and III are to the side and vertical.
So shifting the lens mount sideways will not change the distance of the shutter from the lens,
whereas shifting it on the arri brings the lens closer to the shutter.

---LV

#13 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 23 February 2006 - 08:19 PM

Stephen,

Good question, I just got back from the rental house where I was trying lenses. All Zeiss Ultra primes fit perfectly and clear the mirror no problem. Same for all Cooke S4s.

Issue is with some Zeiss regular primes. They'll mount but the mirror won't turn. It wasn't a big deal as there are so many lenses I just tried one at a time and made a note of the serial numbers of the ones that do clear the mirror. I doubt this would be an issue with a 2M conversion since it appears there is more space in front of the mirror on those models.

Any way the ultra primes where my main goal, and they all work fine. Any one got a spare one laying around they want to "donate." smile.gif

R

#14 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 February 2006 - 08:26 PM

Hi,

> my cheapo junky crappy Russian camera can now take on your $200,000.00 HD cameras and kick their butts!!!

Twice.

Then I'm in profit.

Phil

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Glidecam

Technodolly