Brian Rose
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Student
  • Kansas City area

Posted 22 February 2006 - 11:08 AM

All,
Well, the topic kinda says it all. I was interested in doing some effects stuff, and I was wondering if there is a practial method (or if it is even possible) to backwind film shot with an Eclair NPR. Thanks!
Best,
Brian Rose

#2 Scott Bullock

Scott Bullock
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Other
  • Denver, CO

Posted 22 February 2006 - 12:55 PM

To the best of my knowledge, what you are asking can't be achieved "in camera" by using the camera's motor. However, let's say that you want to create a double exposure, what you would need to do is make as precise a log as possible for where on the roll of film you created the first exposure. (Note: This will not be frame accurate.) Next, roll-out the film to the end, either by shooting the rest of it, or by capping the lens and the eyepiece and then rolling it out. Then, get yourself a couple of split-reels, a set of rewinds, and a darkroom. Rewind the film onto a core making sure that you are maintaining the film's proper wind, reload it into the magazine, and run the camera to the desired point that you previously logged, making sure that the lens cap is on and the eyepiece is closed. As I stated earlier, it won't be frame accurate, so I'd recommend using shorter rolls of film (short ends and the like), and avoid shooting other things on that roll (single exposure stuff) that you can't afford to lose. I've done this before for steadiness tests and it works fine, but it's a bit of a pain. Hope that helps.

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineTape

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks