#1 Jimmmm

Jimmmm

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 09:33 AM

Shooting in Short Film/Music Video in the UK

Need a stock to cover all shooting Day Outdoors in City (Daylight), and inside a Leisure centre in Changing Rooms (Artificial light), and By the Pool (Mixed Light) all will be shot with essentially available light only

We need a single overall stock Super 16 to cover all these conditions was thinking about the Fuji/Kodak 400/500 Stocks but i'm worried image quality (Grain) although i'm not adverse to it, but this has sent me leaning towards a 200/250 stock.

Please people shower me with your wisdom i need it

#2 Chance Shirley

Chance Shirley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Director

Posted 23 February 2006 - 11:15 AM

If you plan on shooting indoors with available light, and you want to play it safe, Kodak's ever-popular 7218/500T stock would be the obvious way to go. It's good for low-light situations, and an 85B filter and some ND will get you a reasonable stop for shooting exteriors. Fuji's ETERNA 500 is also good, though some say it's a bit grainier than Kodak's '18.

Will the end product end up on video? Hi-def or standard def? I don't think 7218 is too grainy for standard def (never transferred it to HD, personally). If you're really worried about grain, and you have fast lenses and a good focus puller, you might be able to get away with a 200 or 250 speed stock.

#3 Matt Sander

Matt Sander
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2006 - 01:02 PM

Yeah, I would go with 7218 Kodak. It's so versatile and forgiving, the grain structure is fantastic, and it transfers well to HD.

#4 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 23 February 2006 - 03:39 PM

Yeah, I would go with 7218 Kodak. It's so versatile and forgiving, the grain structure is fantastic, and it transfers well to HD.

I suggested 7299 or 7218 in answering your cross-posting. Both films have the speed to allow flexibility. If you have the light, both tolerate overexposure well, and a bit of overexposure will help reduce the graininess even more.

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks