#1 Mark Williams

Mark Williams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Director
  • United Kingdom

Posted 23 February 2006 - 12:36 PM

Please dont ask why.. ? :) Can anyone give a clear concise description?

Edited by Mark Williams, 23 February 2006 - 12:37 PM.

#2 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 23 February 2006 - 03:03 PM

Please dont ask why.. ? :) Can anyone give a clear concise description?

Sure, just take the little screws out. Then pack the whole camera up and send it to Visual Products, or Cinema Technic, or one of the other authorized ARRI service centers to have it put back together again.

Taking the gate off your Arri 16BL is something I would only consider doing if you plan to have an experienced service person with the proper tools put back together again.

You must realize that the tolerances of the gate-to-lens-mount-flange(FFD) must be accurate to one hundredth of a millimeter, and for really sharp clear pictures, most of us try to set it to within five thousandths of a millimeter, about one tenth the diameter of a human hair. Not something you can do with a set of mini screwdrivers from Radio Shack.

But hey, it's your camera, do what you want.

-Tim

#3 Mark Williams

Mark Williams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Director
  • United Kingdom

Posted 23 February 2006 - 03:44 PM

Sure, just take the little screws out. Then pack the whole camera up and send it to Visual Products, or Cinema Technic, or one of the other authorized ARRI service centers to have it put back together again.

Taking the gate off your Arri 16BL is something I would only consider doing if you plan to have an experienced service person with the proper tools put back together again.

You must realize that the tolerances of the gate-to-lens-mount-flange(FFD) must be accurate to one hundredth of a millimeter, and for really sharp clear pictures, most of us try to set it to within five thousandths of a millimeter, about one tenth the diameter of a human hair. Not something you can do with a set of mini screwdrivers from Radio Shack.

But hey, it's your camera, do what you want.

-Tim

Sorry Tim.. I didnt mean for my lack of knowledge to upset you.. But anyway thank you your information which has stopped me from doing something I would have regretted.. Thanks for that

#4 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 23 February 2006 - 03:54 PM

Sorry Tim.. I didnt mean for my lack of knowledge to upset you.. But anyway thank you your information which has stopped me from doing something I would have regretted.. Thanks for that

Not upset, just communicating the precision needed if you want to get good images from your camera.

-Tim

#5 Mark Williams

Mark Williams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Director
  • United Kingdom

Posted 23 February 2006 - 04:08 PM

Not upset, just communicating the precision needed if you want to get good images from your camera.

-Tim

Thats the one Tim Thats what I want the very best Images I can get and this site is a fabulous resource of information I am learning so much here.. At the moment David Mullen is my fav commentator. I wish I could go the super 16 route and I probably will But I have invested so much into my BL Its become a friend.. bUT so much to learn and do !

#6 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 23 February 2006 - 04:25 PM

Thats the one Tim Thats what I want the very best Images I can get and this site is a fabulous resource of information I am learning so much here.. At the moment David Mullen is my fav commentator. I wish I could go the super 16 route and I probably will But I have invested so much into my BL Its become a friend.. bUT so much to learn and do !

David is the best, I agree. He and Mitch Gross have helped me immensely over the years, along with everyone else on these forums.

There is no reason you cannot get great images from your BL if you have it set up right and use good glass. Don't worry so much about shooting regular 16 as opposed to Super 16. If the final output is DVD or even HD DVD, and you have good lenses for your camera, shoot on 250 stock or slower, and have your telecine done 16:9, no one but guys like David Mullen and Mitch Gross are going to be able to tell the difference between whether you shot regular 16 or Super 16.

Take the time and money you're investing in worrying about your gate and put it into making sure your camera is serviced and set right (FFD, ground glass set, and lenses collimated), and you will not need to concern yourself with Super 16. And someday when you have worked your way up, sell your BL and get an Arri SR1,2,3 or an Aaton LTR/XTR in Super 16, don't waste the money and time on trying to make the BL something it is not, because it was never designed to be a Super 16 camera.

Just my 2 cents worth,
-Tim

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

CineLab

Wooden Camera