Photo

vision2 lower contrast than vision or exr?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 robbie Land

robbie Land
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 01:36 AM

i need a neg stock that is not gauged for video output. i need a stock with saturated colors and some contrast like the dicontinued 7248 or 7246. does anyone have any sugggestions or should i consider Fuji? Thanks for any ideas you can provide.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 February 2006 - 02:59 AM

The new Fuji stocks are even lower-contrast and more pastel than the new Kodak Vision-2 stocks.

If you're printing in 35mm, you can use Vision Premier for more saturation. If this is for video transfer, you can add more color and contrast in the color-correction.

Of course, you could go really far and shoot Ektachrome 100D 7285...

#3 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 24 February 2006 - 08:48 AM

i need a neg stock that is not gauged for video output. i need a stock with saturated colors and some contrast like the dicontinued 7248 or 7246. does anyone have any sugggestions or should i consider Fuji? Thanks for any ideas you can provide.

You can enhance the color saturation and contrast of the Kodak VISION2 stocks by giving them a bit of overexposure (the color-enhancing interimage effects are more active as you go up the scale and you'll get more contrast and detail in the shadows). A push-1 process (with normal exposure) will also increase the contrast. As David mentioned, for 35mm prints, you can release on KODAK VISION Premier Color Print Film 2393, which has higher contrast and the capability of very rich blacks:

http://www.kodak.com...1.4.8.4.5&lc=en

#4 robbie Land

robbie Land
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 02:51 PM

so, now my prefered stocks are discontinued ( 7248 and the vision 200T) what suggested current stock would work for origination? i know the new vision2 100T is lower contrast for video prep. so any ideas for camera stock? when 7248 was avaliable i would originate on that and finish on the 2393 with excellent results. are those results no longer accessable in film finishing? thanks for your thoughts.

You can enhance the color saturation and contrast of the Kodak VISION2 stocks by giving them a bit of overexposure (the color-enhancing interimage effects are more active as you go up the scale and you'll get more contrast and detail in the shadows). A push-1 process (with normal exposure) will also increase the contrast. As David mentioned, for 35mm prints, you can release on KODAK VISION Premier Color Print Film 2393, which has higher contrast and the capability of very rich blacks:

http://www.kodak.com...1.4.8.4.5&lc=en

#5 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 24 February 2006 - 05:07 PM

so, now my prefered stocks are discontinued ( 7248 and the vision 200T) what suggested current stock would work for origination? i know the new vision2 100T is lower contrast for video prep. so any ideas for camera stock? when 7248 was avaliable i would originate on that and finish on the 2393 with excellent results. are those results no longer accessable in film finishing? thanks for your thoughts.

The contrast level of the VISION2 stocks is only slightly lower than older films, optimized for today's tastes.

But a bit of overexposure and/or push-1 process will increase contrast and color saturation.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Technodolly

Visual Products