Brian Broz

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 25 February 2006 - 12:45 AM

Hi,
I am doing some testing with the HVX200, but since the users of Varicam tend to have more cinematography and "real world" experience I thought I'd ask here. Forgive me, but the HVX forums tend to have more of an XL-H1 vs JVC vs Sony tone rather than technical discussions.
I have done some tests with the HVX trying to shoot a city skyline (night time) with a noticeable streaking of headlight/taillights of cars going by. I tried 12FPS, 8FPS, 1F per 10 sec etc and neither had the look I was looking for. All shot at 1/15 Shutter. I am a video guy (shooting for 10 years) but the option of variable framerate and timelapse with the HVX200 is very exciting....
The look I'm trying to achieve is the city skyline in focus, but the highway/bridge in the foreground with cars essentially creating a constant streak of taillights/headlights. I can't seem to wrap my head around which way to continue my experiments. Everything I have tried looks ok, but essentially smoothly fast forwarded video. Some samples I've seen of the Varicam have displayed the look I want to achieve. Essentially tail and headlights would form a constant line...not choppy in any way. I assume slow shutter will help, but other than that I'm looking for suggestions.
I'll owe some Canadian beer to someone who can help me out!!!!
Cheers,

Brian Broz
www.llsr.com

Edited by BBroz, 25 February 2006 - 12:45 AM.

#2 Matt Irwin

Matt Irwin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 February 2006 - 01:11 AM

"So, like, how many beers would that be, in metric?" (too obscure?)

How about 1 frame every 1 minute? Maybe even every 5 minutes? That should cut down on "choppiness" since an average traffic light lasts, what... 2 minutes max?

#3 Elias Haswany

Elias Haswany

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Middle East / Europe

Posted 28 February 2006 - 03:18 AM

it is not only about frames per second, it is actually about shutter angle. I understand many cameras can do 1 fps, but may not be able to keep the shutter open for the duration of that second (obviously there is no real shutter in HD) in order to capture the streaking tail and headlights.
your best bet is to actually do this in post... many techniques I have used do the job very well, for example in FinalCutPro many filters will do the job for you. otherwise any filter that reduces flicker, or even better a noise reducer cranked all the way up, will produce the effect for you...

I would post this question in editing and postproduction as there seems to be very few able to reply to your question..

regards,

Elias Haswany
MENA Based DP.

#4 legacy1436

legacy1436

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 June 2006 - 01:43 AM

Here is a good link- it is all shot with a Canon 20D digital still camera, but it's what you are looking for. I've had a hard time getting clean looking nighttime elapses without going to digital stills.

http://599production...lapseLarge.html

Keep trying differnet ratios- such as the 1frame/ minute

#5 AshG

AshG
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2006 - 12:21 AM

Shutter needs to be lower... but that will make it noisy. There is really no good way to do this, especially with a 1/3" CCD cam... I have a Canon 20D and it works perfect for this...

ash =o)

#6 David Glasgal

David Glasgal

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Producer

Posted 26 July 2006 - 12:15 PM

Does the 20D have an intervalometer mode?

#7 Douglas Hunter

Douglas Hunter
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 July 2006 - 12:37 PM

The look I'm trying to achieve is the city skyline in focus, but the highway/bridge in the foreground with cars essentially creating a constant streak of taillights/headlights.

I'm not sure the HVX can do this. When I have done shots like this, its been on 16mm with slow film and even ND filters exposing each frame for several seconds. That's 1 frame per 2 - 5 seconds rather than 2 - 5 frames per second, This provides for great streaking of the car lights.

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

CineTape

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Opal

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS