PL conversion for a BL2 ?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ken Maskrey

Ken Maskrey
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2006 - 09:36 PM

Anyone know where I can get a BL2 with lens blimp converted to a PL mount? I've seen a few converted models for sale so I'm assuming this is possible.

thanks,
Ken

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 26 February 2006 - 02:54 AM

Anyone know where I can get a BL2 with lens blimp converted to a PL mount? I've seen a few converted models for sale so I'm assuming this is possible.

thanks,
Ken

Hi,

P+S Technik have done many such conversions. They no longor will do a BL1 as the camera is too loud .

Stephen

#3 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 26 February 2006 - 10:46 AM

I don't believe you can use the lens blimp if you convert a BL-2 to a PL front. So, the tradeoff will be having the option of using newer lenses, while now having a louder camera.

#4 Ken Maskrey

Ken Maskrey
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2006 - 05:46 PM

I don't believe you can use the lens blimp if you convert a BL-2 to a PL front. So, the tradeoff will be having the option of using newer lenses, while now having a louder camera.

I was hoping that the PL mount mod would allieviate the need for a lens blimp, but everyone tells me I'm wrong. Bummer....

Here's the thing...I can get a really good deal on a BL2 with primes/zoom, mags, etc. Or, I can go with a BL3/4 for twice as much and get no lenses at all, then have to buy a set of primes. I could get both, skip the PL primes and just rent a nice set of 1.3s a local guys has. The BL3 or BL4 lets me upgrade to Super-35, but I'm in this total confused state.

Normally, I rent his BL4s with fast primes and use my 2C as a second unit...MOS stuff, overcranking, etc. But, I've got a feature I want to start in June and I'm a little nervous about using something as old as a BL2. I don't know why...I think it's just the "it's gotta be new" philosophy.

Someone PLEASE set me straight...

thanks, Ken

#5 Jamie Metzger

Jamie Metzger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco

Posted 27 February 2006 - 03:04 AM

You could try buying the BL2 and then turning around to sell the camera while keeping the primes...

#6 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 27 February 2006 - 03:37 AM

I can go with a BL3/4 for twice as much and get no lenses at all, then have to buy a set of primes. I could get both, skip the PL primes and just rent a nice set of 1.3s a local guys has. The BL3 or BL4 lets me upgrade to Super-35, but I'm in this total confused state.

Hi,

The BL3/4 are far better cameras, hence the higher prices.

Stephen

#7 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 27 February 2006 - 11:08 PM

There are many reasons to go with a BL3 or 4 over a BL2. THey are significantly advanced cameras; they are significantly quieter; they have a significant number of more modern capabilities and acceptance of accessories; and they are significantly younger, which is a big difference. With age comes wear and a lack of parts availability. I would certainly go with the newer camera if you make it work for your budget.

You can get a BL2 converted to PL mount by Visual Products. They claim it is an "isolation mount" which is supposed to reduce the camera noise, but it is still louder than a BL 3 or 4 from my experience.

#8 Ken Maskrey

Ken Maskrey
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2006 - 12:21 AM

There are many reasons to go with a BL3 or 4 over a BL2.

Is there a significant reason to pick a BL4 (which is really a BL3 factory upgraded to BL4) over a BL3? How much more is that BL4 worth over the BL3? $3000? $8000? Assuming all other things equal...

I mean, yeah, I'd much prefer a BL4 over a BL3 and certainly over a BL2...heck, I'd prefer a 435 over any of those and a 535 over all of them, but how do you quantify it all? I'm not trying to be argumentative and I hope it doesn't come across that way, but I'm just trying to best allocate resources...dollars...to get the best deal. Should I invest in a camera package ( I already have a MOS 35mm and a couple Sync-sound 16mms) that I can "get by" with and use the other money for other things? or, oh, I don't know...man this is confusing.

I guess...here's the thing....my motivation is to make movies. Having my own gear really simplifies things by a couple orders of magnitude (no renting, transit time, insurance, etc., etc.) time being the biggest savings. But, I know that whether I use a BL2 or a BL4 or a 535, it's not going to make "that much" of a difference it my ability to tell a story....but here's where all your guys experience comes in to help...will getting the better camera (and hence spending more $$) make much of a difference for me, in the case I've described?

Let's say I only want to make 2 or 3 movies and see where it takes me. If I do great and am successful, then I can always upgrade to something better. If I do crappy then there isn't that much of a loss if it doesn't work out.

I see and hear these stories of people that make movies with DV camera, and Kubrick did one with a IIC, and so on and so on....

I love shooting in 35mm....the look of the shots, even the "feel" of the cases the camera comes in...it's somehow magic.

#9 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 February 2006 - 10:10 AM

Is there a significant reason to pick a BL4 (which is really a BL3 factory upgraded to BL4) over a BL3? How much more is that BL4 worth over the BL3? $3000? $8000? Assuming all other things equal...

If you've used a BL4s, as you stated earlier in the thread, than you must already be familiar with the biggest difference between the BL3 and BL4...the viewfinder, which is a significant improvement.

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS