8 replies to this topic

#1 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 February 2006 - 10:52 AM

Had a great time there, my first time since becoming a member. Saw some of the Cinematography.Com posters and lurkers here, although I apologize if it didn't have time to chat with some of you (sorry, Tenolian!)

I had a wonderful time talking to Rodrigo Prieto, Andrew Lesnie, and Bruno Dubonnel in particular -- I always learn something, so it's great to have a chance to pick their brains.

#2 ssreeni00

ssreeni00

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • chennai/mumbai,india.

Posted 26 February 2006 - 12:50 PM

I had a wonderful time talking to Rodrigo Prieto, Andrew Lesnie, and Bruno Dubonnel in particular -- I always learn something, so it's great to have a chance to pick their brains.
[/quote]

yes mr.mullen.,v all learn n keep learning as cinematographers i feel.,i draw a lot of inspiration from mr.conrad l hall...,theres no end to perfection n creativity i feel., everytime i read or see something theres something new that catches my attention.,thats how one becomes better at whatever one does...the process of learning is endless...v young cinematographers learn a lot from senior pros like u n all other pros......

#3 Tom Banks

Tom Banks
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 February 2006 - 01:59 PM

I had a wonderful time there, what a great opportunity! Had the privelage of chatting with Andrew Lesnie, Lazlo Kovacs, Robert Yoeman, Rodrigo Prieto, and yes, M. David Mullen. All of which were extremely intellegent and offered very good advice and insight into their own creative process. Looking forward to the next one!

#4 Dan Adlerstein

Dan Adlerstein
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 26 February 2006 - 06:15 PM

I was really looking forward to the event but was working so i was unable to make it. I would love to hear about who people got a chance to talk to, what they had to say specifically, and what their impressions were. At last years event I was fortunate enough to talk to Robert Elswitt who was so cordial and so kind to really talk about his process in creating the look of Punch Drunk Love with P.T. Anderson. What a great opportunity to talk to some many great D.P.'s in one afternoon. Lets hear some stories!!

#5 Dominik Muench

Dominik Muench
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Brisbane

Posted 26 February 2006 - 06:22 PM

(jealousy ON) damn :((((( i wish i could have been there (jealousy OFF)

:(

#6 Tenolian Bell

Tenolian Bell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 27 February 2006 - 02:29 PM

I got to the open house a bit late in the day and couldn't stay too long.

I wanted to speak to Rodrigo Prieto but their was always a crowd of people around him.

I got to speak to Andrew Lesnie. When I first approached him he was discussing how he felt movies have been too focused on entertainment and not enough on social human issues. He felt it is the responsibility of filmmaking as a form of mass communication to inform and educate as well as entertain and make money.

He spoke about a story he is interested in about when British colonial rule came to New Zealand and how that parallels what is happeneing today.

I asked him about CGI, and how I marvel at the ability to keep perspective. How do you keep perspective in a close up of an actor with a 40 foot gorilla in the background, who really isn't there. Especially if the camera is moving or racking focus.

He answers with Austrailian accent "yes that can be difficult". He essentially said you have to put something there to help keep perspective. He said they would often use a long pole with a colored ball on top, or they may use extra crew memebers to fill in, just to have something there. They may shoot one shot with a marker then shoot a clean shot with nothing for the CGI.

I asked him if he saw a big difference between 2K, 4K, or 6K in a DI. He said yes obviously the quality increases as you scan at the higher resolutions. He said he would prefer to work at 4K but becasue of the VFX has to work at 2K. He replied that on King Kong he scanned the image at 4K which was reduced to 2K to match the visual effects. He laughed and said it used to be that the visual effects would be sharper than the live action, but today you have to bring down the live action to equal the visual effects.

I asked about visual effects artist working at 4K. He said no they don't like it. He felt the process is made more difficult than it has to be. He felt at times the VFX artists are more concerned with making their work stand out than they are concerned with making it match the look of the live action. He replied that he spent a great deal of time keeping the look of the VFX to match the look of the rest of the film.

I asked if his next film was going to be another big CGI film or a smaller more intimate film. He replied he hasn't chosen his next film yet, but that he needed a break from the big films, and wants to do a smaller film.

I asked if he will always have a DI or would he go back to photochemical. With a chuckle he says in Austrialian accent "I like the DI, the DI can really save your ass." Especially on a huge film where you only have so much time to set up these huge shots with elements that don't yet exist. You have a lot of freedom with the DI.

I also breifly spoke to Bruno Dubonnel. He said he is currently timing a film in New York. I asked was it difficult to swicth from the freedom of the DI back to the limitations of photochemical. He replied no. He said the DI was always used to create a specific look so he never used it as a crutch.

I apologize if it didn't have time to chat with some of you (sorry, Tenolian!)

No worries. I feel like we speak pretty often, I just wanted to say hi face to face.

#7 Kevin Zanit

Kevin Zanit
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1223 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • LA

Posted 27 February 2006 - 05:27 PM

I wish I could have been there. This was the first one I have missed in years and years.

I will be at the next one though, would have liked to say "hi" to everyone.

Kevin Zanit

#8 Michael Coate

Michael Coate
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 March 2006 - 02:21 AM

Just wanted to mention that the From Script To DVD website has posted a Photo Gallery from the ASC's recent Open House (and awards show). Over 50 images are featured, including shots of many of your favorite DPs. Enjoy!

http://www.fromscrip...om/asc_2006.htm

#9 Jonathan Spear

Jonathan Spear
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 March 2006 - 12:47 PM

Awesome pics, Michael.

Looks like an incredible event.

(and.. Nicole! :o )

Tai Audio