• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jason Maeda

Jason Maeda
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 07:53 PM

do different wide angle options exist? is there a "gold standard" wide adapter?

jk :ph34r:

#2 santo

santo
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2006 - 08:44 AM

"gold standard":

http://www.centuryoptics.com/

"Original Equipment standard":

Nizo Schneider UW2 (or maybe your camera takes a 3 or a 1, I can't remember).

Posted Image

Search Nizo on the ebays of the world and you'll find these fairly often. Plastic, but some very good images have been posted on the internet using them.

#3 Jason Maeda

Jason Maeda
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 02:31 PM

thanks santo,

is this the gold standard to which you reffered? will it work with the 6080 (obviously with a 67 to 72 step up)?

http://www.centuryop...d_wac/index.htm

jk :ph34r:

#4 santo

santo
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2006 - 02:47 PM

Absolutely. That's what I'd call a "gold standard" for a super 8 camera with a big zoom on it. But you don't have to spend that much to get good results. Probably even the old Canon wide angle adapters will work pretty well, too, as long as you're using one with a lens thread not smaller than the Nizo's. What is it, 62mm I think? And those original Nizo Ultra-Wide lenses are not to be forgotten provided they aren't scratched.

#5 Tim Terner

Tim Terner
  • Sustaining Members
  • 340 posts
  • Producer
  • Prague, CZ

Posted 27 February 2006 - 02:51 PM

Last week I bought from the same optical company a wide angle converter (x.7) for $1465 to fit the the Sony Z1 - Been test shooting at all apertures over the last few days and am hugely dissapointed by the loss in image quality. For what I shoot will probably never be able to use it

#6 santo

santo
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2006 - 03:12 PM

Last week I bought from the same optical company a wide angle converter (x.7) for $1465 to fit the the Sony Z1 - Been test shooting at all apertures over the last few days and am hugely dissapointed by the loss in image quality. For what I shoot will probably never be able to use it

Never ever read or heard of anybody say that about Century Optics products before. Very surprising. You should pursue this and get your money back if possible. Are you? And if not, why not?

#7 Tim Terner

Tim Terner
  • Sustaining Members
  • 340 posts
  • Producer
  • Prague, CZ

Posted 28 February 2006 - 04:14 AM

Never ever read or heard of anybody say that about Century Optics products before. Very surprising. You should pursue this and get your money back if possible. Are you? And if not, why not?

As you quoted, I've never heard anything but praise about Century Optics products so bought the converter here in Prague without trying it. (they actually didn't have one in stock and had to order)

I'd destroyed the tests I talked about but have just done a real quickie so as to illustrate the degradation. Low and behold on this test there is no noticable loss of image quality. Perhaps I hadn't attached the converter properly in the initial testing, although it's a bayonet fitting...strange

Anyway heres a 2meg comparison pic with grabbed frames, stretched in Photoshop and resized to 1000 pixels wide http://www.electrick...Acomparison.jpg

#8 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 28 February 2006 - 09:47 PM

I have the 49mm Nizo 1 wide angle. But it only works with a macro setup... is that the standard?

#9 santo

santo
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:10 AM

Simple, one-piece designs like the Nizo and less expensive wide angles rely on macro focusing. The ability to "zoom through" requires multiple lens construction and higher prices. Doesn't mean you can't get terrific results with a one-piece, its just that you're limited in what you can do with them because you are focusing your camera's lens on the wide-angle lens itself, basically.

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

CineTape

Visual Products

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Abel Cine