2 replies to this topic

#1 Craig Chartier

Craig Chartier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 26 February 2006 - 10:51 PM

We were using a pro35 adapter with older CZ prime set. Noticed a sizable dropoff of light when panning full frame from left to right. Meaning the subject was properly exposed when in center of frame, however when panning to either side ( last 20% of frame) the light would drop by 1.5 to 2 stops. We thought it might be the camera, changed to DSR-450, same thing. Each lens in the set did the same thing. If i understand how the pro35 works , it has two ground glass pieces osilating in different directions. Could those pieces be out of whack with each other? Has anybody else seen this problem??

#2 Ype Poortinga

Ype Poortinga
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Amsterdam, the Netherlands

Posted 27 February 2006 - 05:57 AM

We were using a pro35 adapter with older CZ prime set. Noticed a sizable dropoff of light when panning full frame from left to right. Meaning the subject was properly exposed when in center of frame, however when panning to either side ( last 20% of frame) the light would drop by 1.5 to 2 stops. We thought it might be the camera, changed to DSR-450, same thing. Each lens in the set did the same thing. If i understand how the pro35 works , it has two ground glass pieces osilating in different directions. Could those pieces be out of whack with each other? Has anybody else seen this problem??

I noticed the same problem when using older cooke lensens on a mini35 adaptor, I think it has something to do with the older lenses not covering the whole super35 area,

#3 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:36 AM

I noticed the same problem when using older cooke lensens on a mini35 adaptor, I think it has something to do with the older lenses not covering the whole super35 area,

Hi,

If the exit pupil on the lens is too small, vignetting will occur. The lens may be fine for S35 but the vibrating ground glass is not quite the same as film. Arri Standard lenses have the problem but not SuperSpeeds. One reason SuperSpeeds have increased in value over the last 2 years.

FWIW My 18mm Zeiss Ultratron vignettes in the eyepiece but not on the film! The lens was designed especially for that camera!

Cheers,

Stephen

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

Metropolis Post