WHAT CAMERA FOR STARTING DIGITAL DP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JonathanSmith

JonathanSmith
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:37 AM

Hi there!! Im very new to this site so i havent had time to search through the very informative posts but here goes. Im from London studying Film at University and im thinking of purchasing my own digital camera to start filming my own short films. I have a budget of £4000 to spend and i have not a clue what to get. Alot of people have said yeah why dont you spend the cash on a couple of short films instead of a camera but id rather buy a camera and learn from my mistakes. These are the following cameras im thinking of but i have no experience with whats good and whats bad and whats good for price wise. Please post your ideas about the cameras, and post any alternatives if you can please. Thanks again!!

JVC GY-HD101

Sony DSR-250P

Sony DSR-PD170P

Cheers

John

#2 Andrew Redd

Andrew Redd

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 06 March 2006 - 05:41 PM

Hi there!! Im very new to this site so i havent had time to search through the very informative posts but here goes. Im from London studying Film at University and im thinking of purchasing my own digital camera to start filming my own short films. I have a budget of £4000 to spend and i have not a clue what to get. Alot of people have said yeah why dont you spend the cash on a couple of short films instead of a camera but id rather buy a camera and learn from my mistakes. These are the following cameras im thinking of but i have no experience with whats good and whats bad and whats good for price wise. Please post your ideas about the cameras, and post any alternatives if you can please. Thanks again!!

JVC GY-HD101

Sony DSR-250P

Sony DSR-PD170P

Cheers

John

I've heard a lot of really good things about the JVC GY-HD101 as long as you are wanting to shoot HDV projects. If you're just wanting a good DV camera to learn with, try the Panasonic DVX100a. You could pick up a used one fairly cheap or even a new one would still be within your budget.

-Andrew Redd
DP/Gaffer
Dallas, TX

#3 Mario C. Jackson

Mario C. Jackson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Student

Posted 08 March 2006 - 10:23 AM

I agree with Johnathan. The DVX 100A is a wonderful camera to shoot on. I have used quite a few times and i will be shooting on it again at the end of the month. It is a good camera and I would definetly recommend it.
Hope This Helps
Mario Concepcion Jackson

#4 Skhot

Skhot
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:20 PM

Hey John,

I am an amatueur cinematographer and I just recently bought the Panasonic DVX 100B. This handheld camera packs a lot of punch. High quality video plus 24P feature (cinema like quality). Great for beginners. I bought it for 3000 at B&H. Drawbacks not HD and could use mountable mic. But it has 2 XLR inputs!

You can get and HD camera for about 3000 too but it doesn't have the XLR inputs. If you want those then you are up over 4000.

Hope this helps

Scott

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

CineLab

CineTape

Abel Cine