I NEED A DIGITAL CAMERA????

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JonathanSmith

JonathanSmith
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:39 AM

Hi there!! Im very new to this site so i havent had time to search through the very informative posts but here goes. Im from London studying Film at University and im thinking of purchasing my own digital camera to start filming my own short films. I have a budget of £4000 to spend and i have not a clue what to get. Alot of people have said yeah why dont you spend the cash on a couple of short films instead of a camera but id rather buy a camera and learn from my mistakes. These are the following cameras im thinking of but i have no experience with whats good and whats bad and whats good for price wise. Please post your ideas about the cameras, and post any alternatives if you can please. Thanks again!!

JVC GY-HD101

Sony DSR-250P

Sony DSR-PD170P

Cheers

John

#2 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 27 February 2006 - 09:32 AM

Hi there!! Im very new to this site so i havent had time to search through the very informative posts but here goes. Im from London studying Film at University and im thinking of purchasing my own digital camera to start filming my own short films. I have a budget of £4000 to spend and i have not a clue what to get. Alot of people have said yeah why dont you spend the cash on a couple of short films instead of a camera but id rather buy a camera and learn from my mistakes. These are the following cameras im thinking of but i have no experience with whats good and whats bad and whats good for price wise. Please post your ideas about the cameras, and post any alternatives if you can please. Thanks again!!

JVC GY-HD101

Sony DSR-250P

Sony DSR-PD170P

Cheers

John

Take a look at the DVX-100 or XL2, both are true progressive scan cameras and give a very pleasing film like look. I started out with the same thought, own my own camera, learn from doing. I bought a XL1 and liked it a lot. I did, however, outgrow digital and have moved on from it. The miniDV format is great for learning and experimentation on the cheap. I would not recommend any HDV camera yet, the format is too young and untested. Give it another two years. Good luck. Have fun.

:D

#3 Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Daniel J. Ashley-Smith
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2006 - 10:57 AM

With a £4000 budget I'd get an XL2, and spend the rest on good acc's, like a manfrotto tripod, or another lens, steadicam e.t.c.

The XL2 records in interlaced & progressive scan, exceeding the PAL and NTSC quality standards (625/525 lines)

I wouldn't bother waiting for the XLH1, it's only HD in interlaced.

Edited by Daniel J. Ashley-Smith, 27 February 2006 - 11:00 AM.

#4 Filip Plesha

Filip Plesha
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1267 posts
  • Other
  • Croatia

Posted 27 February 2006 - 04:32 PM

I have a budget of £4000 to spend and i have not a clue what to........

(..drool...)

Buy me a hasselblad 503 kit

#5 Josh Bass

Josh Bass
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 February 2006 - 06:57 PM

"I wouldn't bother waiting for the XLH1, it's only HD in interlaced."

that's not true at all.

Just keep in mind, you can't make decent stuff with just the camera. you need a tripod, and a good one, with a true fluid head (you might find yourself wanting a dolly/steadicam too). You need lights, good ones, controllable ones. You need a way to edit. You need a reliable way to monitor what you're editing. You need a decent microphone. You can own/rent/borrow some of this stuff, but to make something viable, you need all of it, one way or the other. Unless you're trying to be all "Dogme 95" up in the hizzee.

So if you plan to own, you will watch (I'm sorry, I don't know the currency exchange rates so I'll gonna speak in my own monetary terms) $5000 turn into $10,000 or $15,000 or more.

I have a whole shitload of stuff, and I don't regret it, but I had no idea how much it would cost when I first said "oh, well, the camera's only $4000 (that's a sarcastic only, too)."

The nice things about owning, for me, are that you can do experiments (how does this diffusion/lighting setup look?) at any time, and if your shoot dates fall through (which, on low budget/no budget stuff, they WILL sometimes), you're not fu**ed on a rental fee.

Edited by Josh Bass, 27 February 2006 - 06:58 PM.

#6 Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Daniel J. Ashley-Smith
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:13 PM

that's not true at all.

You mean it's still 1080 but in 25F?

What a total waste of time. What will people get? a high resolution interlaced image? A choppy lame assed 25F?

Get an XL2. You'll have money left over for the things that matter.

#7 Josh Bass

Josh Bass
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:52 PM

Look, I can't speak for the PAL version, but the NTSC version is getting mostly rave reviews, in 24F, in HD, etc. Nothing lame or choppy about it. For all intents and purposes, it is said 24P = 24F. Don't let the nomenclature confuse you, and please, future respondents to this thread, do not batter me with science/stats/numbers about how the two processes are different. I'm just saying they have been said to look identical.

I'm not telling the original poster to get an H1, just responding to Daniel. As a newbie, absolutely get an SD cam. A DVX or XL2'll do ya fine.

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC