WHAT CAMERA FOR STARTING DIGITAL DP

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JonathanSmith

JonathanSmith
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:47 AM

Hi there!! Im very new to this site so i havent had time to search through the very informative posts but here goes. Im from London studying Film at University and im thinking of purchasing my own digital camera to start filming my own short films. I have a budget of £4000 to spend and i have not a clue what to get. Alot of people have said yeah why dont you spend the cash on a couple of short films instead of a camera but id rather buy a camera and learn from my mistakes. These are the following cameras im thinking of but i have no experience with whats good and whats bad and whats good for price wise. Please post your ideas about the cameras, and post any alternatives if you can please. Thanks again!!

JVC GY-HD101

Sony DSR-250P

Sony DSR-PD170P

Cheers

John

#2 Rupe Whiteman

Rupe Whiteman
  • Sustaining Members
  • 336 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 18 March 2006 - 07:50 PM

Hi there!! Im very new to this site so i havent had time to search through the very informative posts but here goes. Im from London studying Film at University and im thinking of purchasing my own digital camera to start filming my own short films. I have a budget of £4000 to spend and i have not a clue what to get. Alot of people have said yeah why dont you spend the cash on a couple of short films instead of a camera but id rather buy a camera and learn from my mistakes. These are the following cameras im thinking of but i have no experience with whats good and whats bad and whats good for price wise. Please post your ideas about the cameras, and post any alternatives if you can please. Thanks again!!

JVC GY-HD101

Sony DSR-250P

Sony DSR-PD170P

Cheers

John

... a difficult choice but I wouldn't go for any of these cameras... the dsr 250 has a poor lens, the 170 has been superceded by the Z1 and I'm not sure about the jvc... go to a dealer who sells a range and test them for yourself - Pec in Soho maybe... The sony Z1 has some clever feature and not a bad lens but the panasonice dvx100b has the same(ish) lens and is nice to focus in my experience... Panasonic have just brought out a newer version which takes solid state cards too... by the way the Z1 is available as pal/ntsc switchable so you could get a really good price by getting a cheap flight to New York, buying and flying straight back! - this way you could buy a matte-box and zoom control too!

nb - in the uk you could try Creativevideo(.co.uk) they're based in Warwick and are cheaper than all the london dealers - they sell sony, panasonic and jvc...

good luck,

Rupe Whiteman

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post