5 replies to this topic

#1 Miguel Bunster

Miguel Bunster
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 27 February 2006 - 05:21 PM

I will be shooting for two days hand held on the Arri 3 but never used it for this before. Any suggestions and things I should keep in mind for the hand hel part? Rigs, Magz what can make it better?
Thanks!
Miguel

#2 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 February 2006 - 09:30 PM

First of all.....yuck. The Arri 3 is an awful handheld camera. The weight distribution and the longish eyepiece make it a real pain. I had to handhold one on a movie last year and I came up with a satifactory fix. I wish I had a picture....
So what we did is take some really long rods (probably 2 ft long) and mount them so that they stuck out as far as they could behind the camera. Then I laid two shot bags on the back of the rods and gaff taped them so they wouldn't move around. This allowed me to put the rods on my shoulder, and the weight from the shot bags gave the camera balance. I think I used some duvytene folded up as a pad for my shoulder. Some kind of pad is very important because the rods will really dig into your shoulder and collarbone.
This is not the most graceful solution, but it worked for me. The Arri 3 is so front heavy that without this fix my arms were shaking like crazy after 20 or 30 seconds holding the camera. This fix makes it a much heavier camera, but the balance really saved me. Without that fix I wouldn't have made it to lunch.
I think this description makes sense....if not I'll try to explain better.

#3 Dickson Sorensen

Dickson Sorensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 27 February 2006 - 10:25 PM

Call around to your local rental houses. There is a door made for hand held use with a higher and forward eyepiece and accessory handles also. get 200 ft mags or low profile 400' mags. Its not that bad if you can find the proper accessories.

#4 Miguel Bunster

Miguel Bunster
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 February 2006 - 02:47 AM

Thanks!
Miguel

#5 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 February 2006 - 05:44 AM

Call around to your local rental houses. There is a door made for hand held use with a higher and forward eyepiece and accessory handles also. get 200 ft mags or low profile 400' mags. Its not that bad if you can find the proper accessories.

I can't imagine that the eyepiece could be far enough forward to make this camera come even remotely close to balancing. I've never used that "hand held" door, so I could be wrong, but the way the camera normally balances makes me really doubt that there is such an easy fix as this. Anyway, good luck.

#6 Delorme Jean-Marie

Delorme Jean-Marie
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • paris, france

Posted 02 March 2006 - 02:04 AM

the hand held door comes without video head and if your are left eye like me it's still painfull.
i shot hand held arri 3 for a long feature.
find this mag 400 ft profiled it's definatly the good one. no way to go with a regular mag
it's the same problem for the 435 and this old mag fits on it as well.
have fun

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc