bolex upgrade - is it worth it?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 markb

markb
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:36 AM

i've just sent my bolex rex 3 to bolex for servicing. they tell me they can upgrade my camera to a rex 5 (1:1 shaft drive, magazine mount) for about £400 on top of the service.

is it worth it having it converted while it's at bolex ? i can't make up my mind!

half of me says it would make it a more flexible camera for future projects. the other half says at the moment it's not something i desperately need.

confused and with a headache!!

:blink:

#2 Dan Salzmann

Dan Salzmann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Paris, France

Posted 01 March 2006 - 10:26 AM

I found shooting with the film mag mount on a Bolex when I did it many years ago to be highly impractical at best. Handheld work is virtually impossible, loading is long.
Do you really want to invest in motors.
If you have problems justifying the extra cost, put the money towards something else.

#3 Rachel Oliver

Rachel Oliver
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • London, England

Posted 01 March 2006 - 11:01 AM

i've just sent my bolex rex 3 to bolex for servicing. they tell me they can upgrade my camera to a rex 5 (1:1 shaft drive, magazine mount) for about £400 on top of the service.

is it worth it having it converted while it's at bolex ? i can't make up my mind!

half of me says it would make it a more flexible camera for future projects. the other half says at the moment it's not something i desperately need.

confused and with a headache!!

:blink:

Hi;

Ive had an REX-5 for two years and shot alot with it but not once used the 400 ft mag, Just never seems worth it although I use it mostly for non-narrative. I spent my money on a S16 mod by Les Bosher and some great late generation Kern lenses, very happy with the kit.

Olly

#4 Steve Wallace

Steve Wallace
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Other
  • Burbank, CA

Posted 01 March 2006 - 11:52 AM

How much would a S16 conversion be? S16 w/ the 400' mag would make a great B camera on any 16mm / HD production. If versitility is your goal, this is what I would look into. Updating to Rex5 seems like your only getting the job half done.

#5 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 01 March 2006 - 12:36 PM

Not sure what you want to be able to do with the camera, but I would not be inclined to go with the Rex 5 upgrade. Then you would need to buy a magazine, a mag motor, a motor for the camera, and you would have a set up that would only really be usable with a tripod.

If you have the camera at Bolex in Switzerland, find out if they can upgrade the camera to Super 16 for you. If anyone could do that and do it well, it would be Bolex in Switzerland. That, I think, would be worth the money.

-Tim

#6 markb

markb
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2006 - 12:48 PM

Thanks for everyones input. It's usefull to hear your experiences before making a decision.

I've decided I like the setup i've got and it does what I need it to, so I am going to keep it as it is but get a price for a Super16 conversion and if i can afford it go for that.

Thanks Again.

Abel Cine

Visual Products

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS