10 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 March 2006 - 02:22 PM

Hey everyone. I cut a short demo reel from the footage I shot for two short films this last quarter in school. I just wanted to put it up and get some advise about making a good demo reel. I just took a big guess on this, so don't be shy to tell me what's good and not good.

Looking at it now, it's much too long, given that it's only from two films, and the music isn't very fitting.

It is a quicktime file, about 38mb.

Christopher Keth - Demo Reel version 1

Thanks for looking!

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 March 2006 - 12:56 PM

Hey everyone. I cut a short demo reel from the footage I shot for two short films this last quarter in school. I just wanted to put it up and get some advise about making a good demo reel. I just took a big guess on this, so don't be shy to tell me what's good and not good.

Looking at it now, it's much too long, given that it's only from two films, and the music isn't very fitting.
It is a quicktime file, about 38mb.

Christopher Keth - Demo Reel version 1

Thanks for looking!

Nobody can give me more advice on how to improve this than I already know?

#3 stoop

stoop
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 01:07 PM

Nobody can give me more advice on how to improve this than I already know?

Takes too long to download. But then again, no one commented on mine which was only 15mb!!

#4 Mike Rufail

Mike Rufail
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 March 2006 - 03:08 PM

Christopher,

The download did not take too long for me. It opened with no problem. However, as far as the material you are using in your reel is concerned, I wouldn't cut it all together unless you have a little more diversity. It seems as if you only have 1-3 pieces to choose shots from. The trick is to shoot as many projects as you can then select the shots that display your talent from each. I'm sure you know this already, but I wouldn't bother calling something a reel until there are clear examples of your ability as a cinematographer to create different looks. I don't mean to discourage you, I am just offering my thoughts.

Mike

#5 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 March 2006 - 08:11 PM

Christopher,

The download did not take too long for me. It opened with no problem. However, as far as the material you are using in your reel is concerned, I wouldn't cut it all together unless you have a little more diversity. It seems as if you only have 1-3 pieces to choose shots from. The trick is to shoot as many projects as you can then select the shots that display your talent from each. I'm sure you know this already, but I wouldn't bother calling something a reel until there are clear examples of your ability as a cinematographer to create different looks. I don't mean to discourage you, I am just offering my thoughts.

Mike

That is certainly a problem for me right now. I just posted this because I had to do it for a project. Directors screened films, DPs screened representative work from those films they shot.

What do you think about the shot choice? I personally think that perhaps 3 or 4 of the shots in there are really strong enough to include in a reel, the rest are there to fulfill a length requirement. Your thoughts?

#6 Mike Rufail

Mike Rufail
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Other

Posted 03 March 2006 - 04:07 PM

I think you are right. I just wanted to offer my first thoughts on it. Use the best shots or the shots that you think define your capabilities. Think it through and i'm sure you'll be fine when you decide to cut the reel you will use to obtain work.

#7 Morgan Peline

Morgan Peline
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 March 2006 - 07:06 PM

Hi,

I can't download it - it goes to Not Found page at RIT where it asks you to submit your email address...

#8 Travis Cline

Travis Cline
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 06 March 2006 - 05:00 PM

the link takes me to the same Not found site. sorry, check it out we'd love to see it.

Travis

#9 Tim Tyler

Tim Tyler

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1291 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Olympia, WA (US)

Posted 06 March 2006 - 05:43 PM

Found it at http://www.rit.edu/~cdk8380/reel.html

Good stuff. Nice compositions. I really liked the natural background lighting on the larger interiors.

The dark shots seemed too dark to me, like maybe they need to be brightened up a bit for the web.
There also seemed to be an interlacing issue in the MOV and it seemed to be stretched horizontally.

First time I watched it I felt like there was too much of the blonde. Second time it just felt a little too long everywhere.

#10 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:06 PM

Gah, i apologize, travis and Morgan. I moved the file and forgot to change the link here. Tim has it right, or you can go to http://www.rit.edu/~cdk8380 and go into the website and find it that way. Either will work.

Tim: Thanks for the praise and feedback. I will certainly fix the interlace problem and the dark shots. it's quite a shock to see some of it on different monitors than the one I created it on. I certainly agree that it's too long. The original purpose was to show a faculty committee that I did something this past quarter so it only focuses on those two short films. More experience will fix that.

I have another question for everybody. What shots do you think are strong enough to keep for a professional reel? I think I have an idea but I'm curious how it meshes with the ideas of people more experienced than I.

#11 boydmcc

boydmcc
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:55 AM

I have another question for everybody. What shots do you think are strong enough to keep for a professional reel? I think I have an idea but I'm curious how it meshes with the ideas of people more experienced than I.

The early shots of the girl and guy at the bar in the hotel (?) would be the only stuff I'd keep. The other stuff really isn't strong enough yet to put on a professional reel. I'd agree with MikeNC's comments. Keep shooting!

Boyd

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Opal

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

The Slider

CineLab

Abel Cine

Visual Products

Ritter Battery