Anybody a photoshop pro?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lukeo

Lukeo
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 12:59 AM

Hey,

I'm wondering what is the most effecient way to import video into photoshop to add effects like the artistic brush filters, and pastel looks etc. I've been told you can import a filmstrip into it, but it's time consoming because you have to apply each effect to each frame. does anybody know a faster way of doing this? I'm using premiere elements 2.0 and photoshop elements 4.0, they have virtually the same amount of controls as the pro ones.

thanks

Luke

#2 Craig Agee

Craig Agee
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Other
  • indianapolis

Posted 02 March 2006 - 03:11 AM

you cant import video into photoshop...export your timeline from premiere as 'filmstrip' and you can edit in photoshop.that is the only way

#3 Joshua Reis

Joshua Reis
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 March 2006 - 03:51 AM

I always try to do this type of work on After Effects or Shake, but based on what you have, give this a try. Create a custom "Action" in Photoshop based on a test frame. Then, convert your movie or quicktime clip to a TIFF, PICT, or PSD image sequence (any lossless format, quicktime pro can do this). Then, In Photoshop you can run a batch of your custom action on the image sequence (select the folder that contains the image sequence files. This should be a good start, but once you get this going I'm sure you will develope your own workflow that meets your needs. Best of luck.

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11942 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 March 2006 - 07:44 AM

Hi,

You can run a filter on an entire filmstrip if you particularly want to, although it'll generally take quite a while. The problem with doing this is that if the effect has any spatially-registrable artifacts, they won't be identically registered for every frame, which may or may not be an issue. Also watch that it doesn't start bleeding the grey surround into the actual image data.

I think filmstrip is a really ugly kludge. I wish Adobe would implement Photoshop-style functionality into one of their motion video products so we had a really decent paint-on-frames system with onion skinning and everything. Rotoscoping could be so much easier.

Phil

#5 Lukeo

Lukeo
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 01:56 PM

Hey

thanks very much for your replies. Joshua i will try out what you recomended, thanks a lot!

Luke

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Metropolis Post