Kinetta Film Recorder

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 razerfish

razerfish
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 08:57 AM

I'm not familiar with the post processing chain when dealing with film, so excuse my ignorance.

Would it be possible to shoot on film, have it transferred to digital for editing, then use the Kinetta film recorder to film out? Would that work, or am I being completely ignorant? I'm assuming color correction would be done in the NLE.

Any thoughts?

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 March 2006 - 11:23 AM

I'm not familiar with the post processing chain when dealing with film, so excuse my ignorance.

Would it be possible to shoot on film, have it transferred to digital for editing, then use the Kinetta film recorder to film out? Would that work, or am I being completely ignorant? I'm assuming color correction would be done in the NLE.

Any thoughts?

Sure, that's all a film recorder does, puts digital files onto film frames. The question is just whether your post path is going to maintain the best quality throughout the chain, and what resolution you're going to be scanning / telecine transferring the film at and whether you can edit & color-correct at full resolution or need to work first with low-rez versions for offline editing. NLE color-correctors are rather limited often, plus you're not taking advantage of the skills of a trained colorist to boot, but the bigger issue is what format can you work with in your home computer. For example, are you going to be digitizing a S16 transfer to 24P HDCAM at full rez, about 140 Mb/sec?

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc