Tim Tyler

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1291 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Olympia, WA (US)

Posted 03 March 2006 - 11:47 AM

I've got a 10 minute short coming up at the end of the month using the GY-HD100.

It includes a dozen shots either through the peep hole on an apartment door, or of the peep hole from the outside of the door.

Anybody have any suggestions besides shooting with a extra/ultra wide lens?

I'm hoping to find a new, practical way to approach this. CGI is not an option.

#2 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 03 March 2006 - 01:10 PM

Last time I did one of these we actually just shoved the camera right up to the actual peephole on the door. But I've also gooten various crazy cokebottle lenses and stuck them in front of the main lens to get the effect. I would get a cheap wide angle for a small consumer camcorder -- maybe 37mm diameter for around $20 -- and stick this in front of your lens. Mount it on a piece of showcard.

#3 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 03 March 2006 - 03:27 PM

Dont take that advice. I dont know what the diameter of the JVC lens is, but I can bet my studio its bigger than 37mm, and you probably wont get one for $20.

You can get a death lense (as they are refered to in snowboarding/skate films) with is a really really wide angle. they are probably closer to 200 new, but can be found on eBay by various failed skate movie makers (probably because they over used the deathlense)

I would submit to you that CG is an option, at least its close to an option. If you shoot really really wide and your goal is to master to DVD then add the effect in adobe premiere or whatever you are editting with. There has to be a feature call sphere or something like that, which will basicly map your video onto a sphere, augmenting the wide angle look. Dont push it too far, because its not a true wide, it wont add distortion to closer objects, just distorts the image as a whole, but gets you that feeling. Then just throw a matte of the door and peephole out of focus to give some kind of refereance and natural frame.

If you need some help I have premiere and after effects I can get you some help with easy CG stuff.

#4 Luke Prendergast

Luke Prendergast
  • Sustaining Members
  • 491 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Victoria Australia

Posted 03 March 2006 - 03:37 PM

Dont take that advice. I dont know what the diameter of the JVC lens is, but I can bet my studio its bigger than 37mm, and you probably wont get one for $20.

I think that was the point. It's meant to be as though you're looking through a peephole. Sounds like a super idea to me.

#5 Mike Rizos

Mike Rizos
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 March 2006 - 07:34 PM

Hi.
When looking through a peephole it's sides aren't out of focus. In fact the inside of the barrel is tack sharp.
I found that binoculars in reverse approximate this quite well. Once you rig them in front of the camera, you can try different lenses to vary the size of the peephole. A 28mm will cover about 1/3 frame across in 16mm. The lens should be focused to infinity. The bigger the magnification of the binoculars the more excegerated the effect.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Opal

Visual Products

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

CineLab