anklotz

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 03 March 2006 - 12:29 PM

hi there everyone,

could someone here PLEASE tell me what a master prime is? i am from germany, and am not very familiar with the english descriptions...

thanks a lot,
andreas

#2 Wendell_Greene

Wendell_Greene
  • Sustaining Members
  • 545 posts
  • Other

Posted 03 March 2006 - 12:55 PM

hi there everyone,

could someone here PLEASE tell me what a master prime is? i am from germany, and am not very familiar with the english descriptions...

thanks a lot,
andreas

Master Primes are the new lenses from ARRI

#3 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 03 March 2006 - 01:01 PM

http://www.arri.com/...es/mp_index.htm

Zeiss Master Primes are the newest Zeiss prime lenses. The range goes from 16mm to 100mm and all the lenses are T1.3. Optically they are the best lenses on the market. They do not breathe at all and the out-of-focus highlights are perfect circles. They also are very sharp all the way through to the edges. I am shooting with them this weekend and yesterday we put them on the projector at Arri. They are sharper at T1.3 than Ultra Primes are at T2.8. Also there is hardly a difference in sharpness between wide open and two stops down.

#4 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 03 March 2006 - 01:15 PM

http://www.arri.com/...es/mp_index.htm
They are sharper at T1.3 than Ultra Primes are at T2.8. Also there is hardly a difference in sharpness between wide open and two stops down.

Do you know if the Master Primes can handle a shot directly into lights as well as the Ultra Primes? Are there any conditions under which Ultra Primes will still give a superior image, or have the Master Primes surpassed them in all respects? Thank you.

#5 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 03 March 2006 - 02:57 PM

The Master Primes are better than the Ultra Primes in all aspects. They have new lens coatings as well and apparently do not flare. Arri shot a tests with them at night, comparing them to Ultra Primes, Cooke S4s and Primos. The Master Primes were the only of these lenses that did not flare from headlights of cars. I'm curious to see for myself how well they handle flares. I designed my shots so that we shoot into bright windows a lot. I for one love flares so i won't be dissapointed if there are some after all.

Opal

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

Tai Audio