my first short documentary/film ever

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 adam3345

adam3345
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:00 PM

Hi, my name is adam and im 17. i made a documentary for my NYU portfolio this summer and just wanted to post this to get some criticism. i filmed this on a sony handycam. bear with me here, the shots are shaky and the text is poorly done. i taught myself Final Cut Pro basically. i filmed the documentary with no script, no budget(actually cost me nothing other than the tapes and the program), no storyboard and no idea until after i shot it all. i think it came out ok from coming from nothing. tell me what you think..
http://video.google....372517274622967

#2 jasarsenault

jasarsenault
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 06:32 AM

I really liked it. I liked the hand held....so I wouldnt worry about that. One thing....sometimes the text could be up for a second more, especially the longer ones. Its nice to be able to fully read text and have another second to soak it in before it disapears.

I have made a few short docs and know how hard it can be when you take an organic approach, as you say have done in this case. I think you made a really great effort and a really nice short film.

Edited by jasarsenault, 04 March 2006 - 06:32 AM.

#3 adam3345

adam3345
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2006 - 02:47 PM

I would love to see some of your work.

#4 LondonFilmMan

LondonFilmMan
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 12:16 PM

Adam: Good show. Interesting, and obviously with planning it would be even better. Yes, some shots were shaky...but good though. I liked the fact that you were in stealth mode in certain parts. Did anyone else help you? Some of the transitions in your edit were pointless. I didn't like the introduction, but the rest was fine. It was quite an interesting subject too, but it didn't move me emotionally.

#5 jasarsenault

jasarsenault
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 03:20 PM

I could put up a short clip of one if i could figure out how. How do I get a clip up on the net? I am not very tech savy.

CineLab

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

CineTape

The Slider

Technodolly

Wooden Camera