4 replies to this topic

#1 william koon

william koon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Student

Posted 04 March 2006 - 02:52 AM

Have tried on 16mm Fuji 500 night shooting using f 2.8 on Arri SR III and edited on computer to DVD. Result seemed to be grainny. But many DOP have praised this stock in Fujifilm magazines. Can someone please help to explain whether it was due to filmstock or loading process from neg to computer or f stop used ? If DVD is chosen to be the end product, will pro video camera instead of film camera used for filming give better result ? regards.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19760 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 04 March 2006 - 03:19 AM

Have tried on 16mm Fuji 500 night shooting using f 2.8 on Arri SR III

That doesn't really tell me anything in terms of whether you gave the negative enough exposure. Plus what sort of telecine was used for the transfer? You may also be seeing noise. On the other hand, you might not be used to the grain of 500 ASA stocks, I don't know. Fuji Eterna 500T is no grainier than Kodak 7218 assuming you exposed it correctly.

The number one mistake people seem to make with Fuji is that they underexpose it.

#3 william koon

william koon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Student

Posted 04 March 2006 - 04:11 AM

Hi David,

Glad for your prompt reply. I set the f stop according to meter. I hve shot with normal 500 Fuji previously at night but not as grainy. Can it be the telecine problem ? I have yet to use Eterna 500T ?

2. Please advise if film negative or video shot by camera give better DVD end product ?

3. Am I right to overexpose 1 stop the next time I shoot and compensate back 1 stop (pull-process) while printing to positive film if I choose to have final product on film ? I am sorry if I am ignorent ablut this.

#4 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 04 March 2006 - 06:22 AM

Hi David,

Glad for your prompt reply. I set the f stop according to meter. I hve shot with normal 500 Fuji previously at night but not as grainy. Can it be the telecine problem ? I have yet to use Eterna 500T ?

2. Please advise if film negative or video shot by camera give better DVD end product ?

3. Am I right to overexpose 1 stop the next time I shoot and compensate back 1 stop (pull-process) while printing to positive film if I choose to have final product on film ? I am sorry if I am ignorent ablut this.

1) It could be to do with the telecine, if you are doing a transfer on and old rank or something then it could appear grainier than it might on some of the modern telecines. 500ASA film will of course be grainier than slower stocks anyway. You don't say what telecine machine was used for transfer or anything about the telecine, so who knows.

3) Overexposing the neg will tighten the grain structure. 1 stop might be a bit much unless you are using outdated stock, maybe something like 1/2 to 2/3 of a stop. You then process the film normally, you do not push or pull it or anything. It might be hard to overexpose if you are shooting in the dark tho

love

Freya

Edited by Freya, 04 March 2006 - 06:30 AM.

#5 Laurent Andrieux

Laurent Andrieux
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1527 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • France

Posted 04 March 2006 - 08:03 AM

Yes, it might the fact that you underexposed.

One thing that has to be considered with night shots, is that the stock requires contrast to look "punchy". If you only have middle tones in the frame, the grain comes out. The best is to always try to have one quicking light somewhere in the frame.

If you would post a still grab, may be we could discuss this even further...

And, yes, it's not easy to overexpose in such situation. Another point could come from how you did your metering, anyway.

All the best.

CineLab

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

Opal

Technodolly

The Slider

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

Rig Wheels Passport