6 replies to this topic

#1 Rupe Whiteman

Rupe Whiteman
  • Sustaining Members
  • 336 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 04 March 2006 - 11:11 AM

Hi everyone, anyone...

I've got an upcoming drama/doc to be shot on the Sony HD750 (pal) in the UK. 'Interested to hear your views and experiences using the camera as I've shot a lot on digi-beta and film but not on Hi-def. The thing that worries me is that I'll be operating without an AC and focus concerns are at the front of my mind. Also wondering which is the best lens to use. The budget won't stretch to primes so if anyone can recommend the best zoom to use I'd be interested to hear. I'm also considering what diffusion to use... I presume that shooting wide t-stops will give me the most filmic look...?

'Looking forward to your replies,

Rupe Whiteman

#2 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5069 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 04 March 2006 - 11:56 AM

Hi everyone, anyone...

I've got an upcoming drama/doc to be shot on the Sony HD750 (pal) in the UK. 'Interested to hear your views and experiences using the camera as I've shot a lot on digi-beta and film but not on Hi-def. The thing that worries me is that I'll be operating without an AC and focus concerns are at the front of my mind. Also wondering which is the best lens to use. The budget won't stretch to primes so if anyone can recommend the best zoom to use I'd be interested to hear. I'm also considering what diffusion to use... I presume that shooting wide t-stops will give me the most filmic look...?

'Looking forward to your replies,

Rupe Whiteman

I wouldn't shot a drama on HD without a camera assistant, the focus is that critical and you can't always tell in the viewfinder. It's like shooting 35mm without a focus puller and soft shots do show when viewing on HD. Everything becomes more critical, the make up has to be done to a higher level, sets and costumes as well.

I tend to shoot at F2.8 on the zoom. Both Canon and Fujinon have good HD zooms, however, I normally get a Canon HJ11x4.7 because most rental places seem to have it. The cine style lens are great because of the need for the focus puller.

Switching the detailing off and shooting progressive frames will give you a more filmic look. Also, get the largest HD monitor your budget can manage.

#3 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 March 2006 - 04:43 PM

Hi,

As to camera setups, treat as digibeta pretty much - sharpening down, toe up, all the usual stuff.

Shoot at F4 and you won't have so many issues with focus, of course. But what d'you want, you can't have it both ways!

Camera is generally nonscary.

Phil

#4 Rupe Whiteman

Rupe Whiteman
  • Sustaining Members
  • 336 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 06 March 2006 - 09:50 AM

focus, focus!... unfortunately the show is part of a series already committed to the 750... a pilot has been shot and co-producers Discovery have their demands... What worries me is if you can't tell through the 'finder if it's sharp! I guess I'll make sure the director understands and pays very close attention to the monitor when I'm operating!

Cheers,

Rupe W

#5 Tom Bays

Tom Bays
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Producer
  • Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 08 March 2006 - 05:03 PM

Granted, I don't usually do more than $20,000 commercials, but I don't try to shoot anything I'm not capable of with my resources. Sometimes, as I have learned to the extreme...you have to work with the constraints you have and plan the shots for that. I would just say talk to the director and pick your spots.

Like Anthony Hopkins says...Let the actors do the work. Don't bog yourself down in too many shots that require overt amounts of focus changes. Make the frame interesting.

Edited by Kemper, 08 March 2006 - 05:06 PM.

#6 Tom Bays

Tom Bays
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Producer
  • Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 09 March 2006 - 11:05 AM

on second thought...pay no attention to me...i'm just a hack.

#7 Rupe Whiteman

Rupe Whiteman
  • Sustaining Members
  • 336 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 March 2006 - 06:51 AM

on second thought...pay no attention to me...i'm just a hack.

...I'm sure you not!

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

The Slider

CineLab

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

CineTape