Photo

what's a good place to process film on east coast?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Glenn

Robert Glenn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 March 2006 - 05:42 PM

Are some processing houses better than others? If so, I'd obviously like to know what the good ones are. Will need to process single perf 16mm exposed as super16mm.
THANKS

#2 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 04 March 2006 - 09:58 PM

Are some processing houses better than others? If so, I'd obviously like to know what the good ones are. Will need to process single perf 16mm exposed as super16mm.
THANKS

Better for what? Price, versitility, friendlyness, speed, quality, some combination.

You want to process colour or Black and white, Reversal or Negative, do you want to have the film scanned or workprinted or both? If scaned what format and to what media.

#3 Robert Glenn

Robert Glenn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 March 2006 - 02:29 PM

Gosh I wasn't expecting a requirement to answer questions.. Anyhow I want the best quality processing without having to pay studio budget type prices. It will be color negative film and will be telecined or scanned or whatever.

#4 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 05 March 2006 - 04:26 PM

Gosh I wasn't expecting a requirement to answer questions.. Anyhow I want the best quality processing without having to pay studio budget type prices. It will be color negative film and will be telecined or scanned or whatever.

For what you want, I recommend Cinelab. They have competetive pricing and very good service. I have used them quite a deal and will be for a short I am directing this month.

chris

:D

#5 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 06 March 2006 - 01:27 PM

Here's the Kodak directory of film labs:

http://www.kodak.com...=0.1.4.17&lc=en

Call the labs, ask to see examples of their work, or references. Ask other cinematographers about their experiences.

#6 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 06 March 2006 - 01:35 PM

Frankly, most of the labs that are still in business do excellent quality work. It is too small an industry to do anything sub par. On the East Coast, there's a handfull of labs in the New York area, and then about a dozen others scattered up and down the East Coast. If you give a better idea of where you are then perhaps we can give a better reccomendations.

As far as prices go, commercials generally pay the highest (book) rates. Studios often get deals based on high volume, so that's a price you'd want. But most labs also have rates for indie/student filmmakers. All you need to do is ask.

#7 Mike Welle

Mike Welle
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 02:37 PM

Colorlab in Rockville Maryland processes 16mm color negative for 13 cents a foot. I had my S-16 film processed there and it looked great on the telecine.

Mike Welle

#8 Robert Glenn

Robert Glenn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 March 2006 - 09:43 PM

Thanks for the reply all! I've been thikning of using colorlab. I'm in North Carolina so that or bonolabs seem to be the closest. Again my main concern is quality... something that can be 2k scanned and look like the movies "dirty" or "vera drake". I just didn't know if the higher end productions went to specialized processors or if the processing is pretty much standardized. Wel lthanks again

#9 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 09 March 2006 - 12:02 AM

If I could expand this thread, What about the west and west coast, (35mm )?

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Technodolly

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport