adamo

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student

Posted 06 March 2006 - 01:26 PM

Hi guys,

I'm just about to do a best light s16 transfer, just wondering about formats... Is it best to get it letterboxed in a 4:3 format or to ge the true 16:9.

If it is going to be shown on a regular 4:3 projector, whow will the 16:9 project, and is there a way to letterbox it in fcp.

Thanks a lot,
Adamo

#2 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 06 March 2006 - 01:43 PM

Hi guys,

I'm just about to do a best light s16 transfer, just wondering about formats... Is it best to get it letterboxed in a 4:3 format or to ge the true 16:9.

If it is going to be shown on a regular 4:3 projector, whow will the 16:9 project, and is there a way to letterbox it in fcp.

Thanks a lot,
Adamo

You may want to post this on the Telecine & DI forum. That is where these kinds of questions are answered.

-Tim

#3 joshpixel

joshpixel

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:49 AM

Generally I would go with the Anamorphic transfer knowing that letterboxed clones or letterboxed master can be made later. The letterbox squeze can be done in Final Cut or from a tape to tape dub. What will you be using for playback to feed the projector? If its DVD, I would defintely go with an anamorphic transfer since all DVD players will letterbox a 16:9 encode for viewing on a 4:3 TV. A 16:9 DVD will provide you with a higher quality encode and the bonus of full screen playback on widescreen displays for the future. Editing in Final Cut with Anamorphic material isn't an issue since the app will properlay display the footage while editing. However, keep the Anamorphic NTSC 1.2 pixel aspect ratio in mind when generating graphics for video.

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Opal

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Visual Products