#1 Sandy Thomson

Sandy Thomson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Toronto

Posted 06 March 2006 - 08:10 PM

I'm interested in comments on the path I'm using to produce projects that will eventually post to HD DVD's
I am shooting S-16 and having this transferred in tapeless form to HDV. I'm editing this material together with 16X9 native HDV shot with an FX1.
I am hoping that by the time I'm ready to finish post I'll be able to go to HD DVDs.
I have viewed both images on monitors as well as projected to a large screen and the blend seems to be more compatible than mixing S-16 in SD and SD video.
Ive been shooting interiors with Vision 2 500T stock and exteriors on 50D.
Assuming what I am producing is not going to be projected via film to a screen and will be most likely viewed on a HD TV is this process a good choice?
The reason I'm mixing film and video is mainly to do with with the portability of the gear as I am shooting in different countries and there are other situations where the video package is just a lot more convenient to move around.
The film has a different look, you can notice the grain and whereas the HDV is extremely sharp, I really prefer the look of the film.
Is anyone else out there doing it this way?

Sandy Thomson

#2 Joshua Reis

Joshua Reis
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 March 2006 - 11:32 PM

Hi, it sounds like you have your HDV post workflow figured. It may be a good idea to have your transfer record to HDCAM or D5 in addition to going directly to HDV drive. Since you are paying for the telecine transfer, it would be a good idea to record to a higher quality format to allow for more flexiblity in the future. I always find myself reaching for my HDCAM copies from archival. Best of luck

#3 Sandy Thomson

Sandy Thomson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Toronto

Posted 11 March 2006 - 06:04 PM

Hi, it sounds like you have your HDV post workflow figured. It may be a good idea to have your transfer record to HDCAM or D5 in addition to going directly to HDV drive. Since you are paying for the telecine transfer, it would be a good idea to record to a higher quality format to allow for more flexiblity in the future. I always find myself reaching for my HDCAM copies from archival. Best of luck

Thanks Josh;

Actually, that was the way I was doing it when I did transfers in Toronto. I went first to HDCAM and then at another house to HDV in Mini DV tape. Now I'm doing the transfers at Bono, it's a one shot process from neg to DVD as long as the size is not over 4gb. There's no lab in Toronto presently capable of telecine to HDV or even doing both transfers at the same shop.
I still have the film neg as backup and the show is going to be ruled by the least common denominator which is the natural HDV component.
Doing the tapeless transfers is half the cost and the quality is at least as good if not better.
I'd agree with you that if the whole show were to be S-16 in origin, the two stage process you suggest would be better.

Sandy

#4 santo

santo
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2006 - 06:52 PM

I'm curious as to why you didn't take advantage of the DVCpro HD option instead for your 16 transfer? It's a lot better format for film transfers than consumer level HDV, which may be just fine for delivery.

Honestly I don't see why people would transfer their film material to HDcam at this point with uncompressed full HD to harddrive available. HDcam is so compressed and only 3:1:1 and 8 bit. Even DVCpro HD is better in most ways (except it's only 8 bit, too). HDCAM is good for news gathering, that's about it.

Abel Cine

Technodolly

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab