#1 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:02 PM

I tried this on the lighting thread but got no response so maybe noone really has an answer for this but let me try again here. I recently bought an old Norwood Director light meter which it the predecessor of the Sekonic L-28 analog meters. They were made between 1948 and 1958 and were the standard for the motion picture industry at the time. The unit is in great condition although the dome is a little yellowed from age. I believe this is the c model.

I intend to use it and wanted to have the calibration checked and see if the discoloration of the dome will affect the reading. I check the Sekonic website and sent an email but as of today their sevice dept. haven't responded. I was hoping some knew of a place that could do this sort of work at a reasonable price. Thanks.

Edited by Capt.Video, 07 March 2006 - 09:06 PM.

#2 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:52 PM

Forgive me if this sounds too obvious, but just bring it to a photo shop and see how it reads compared with the latest digital models. (I still use an old Sekonic L-28. I trust it, and it gives me perfect exposures. So, why not?)

#3 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:56 PM

I did think about that but I wanted to have it recalibrated if it's off and I think that's beyond the capibility of most camera shops, although I could be wrong.

#4 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:00 AM

Quality Light Metric in LA. Spectra Cine Meters in LA (will calibrate other brands as well). Service may cost around $50.

The problem with the yellowed dome is not sensitivity, but accuracy across the color spectrum. The old light meters with selenium cells were often insensitive to the extremes of blue or red, and a discolored sensor dome will make this even worse. Also, you'll find that it is fairly useless in some of the low light levels we commonly work in these days. But it can be fun to own one of these old beasties -- I have a Weston Master that still takes dead on reading after what must be 60 years.

#5 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 08 March 2006 - 02:06 PM

Thanks for the info Mitch Would you know of any one who makes replacement parts (domes for these lightmeters or meters in general)? I sure someone has to. I would imagine a sekonic L-28 dome would work if they're still availailble. My friend said the same thing you did, he told me he had a spot meter made in 1948 by minolta that ne uses because it's the one that WORKS. I guess our great grandparents weren't as far in the techonlogical dark ages as many of us tend to think they were. Thanks again

Edited by Capt.Video, 08 March 2006 - 02:13 PM.

CineTape

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

The Slider

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies