Photo

CRT Field Monitor recommendations for HDV?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Denny Kortze

Denny Kortze

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera

Posted 08 March 2006 - 05:59 PM

I am considering purchasing an HDV camera system soon and am putting the pieces together. As for the camera, I am leaning towards the JVC HD-100 but do not know what direction I should go regarding a field monitor. I am looking for a 9-14 inch monitor that I can accurately reference while shooting on location for under $2,000.

Thank you,
Denny Kortze

#2 Adam Paul

Adam Paul
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Here and now

Posted 13 March 2006 - 06:39 PM

Why not buy one of them 20" Apple Cinema Displays? Besides bigger then a 14", the new aluminium ones have firewire inputs. You can plug the camera directly to it using firewire, which is preferable since the analog outputs don't show the real image and you don't see if you have dropouts etc. It is much cheaper than a CRT, about $800, and many say a LCD is actually better for HD since it will end up being viewed on a LCD because all HDTV is LCD/Plasma etc. I know of a lot of people using Apple Displays on set. I think even Hollywood productions are using them. The Apples are the only ones I know with firewire. Some people use the Dell 24" but it only has component IN.

Edited by Adampaul, 13 March 2006 - 06:42 PM.

#3 Mr. Shannon W. Rawls

Mr. Shannon W. Rawls
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Producer
  • Lemiert Park(Hollywood), CA.

Posted 27 May 2006 - 09:04 PM

You can plug the camera directly to it using firewire

Adam....really? This is possible? Plugging an HDV camera to this monitor using firewire will yield an image on the screen? Have you tried this yourself? Has anybody? What camera?

#4 Peter J DeCrescenzo

Peter J DeCrescenzo
  • Sustaining Members
  • 620 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR, USA www.peterdv.com Blog: http://herefortheweather.wordpress.com/

Posted 28 May 2006 - 12:55 AM

I am considering purchasing an HDV camera system soon and am putting the pieces together. As for the camera, I am leaning towards the JVC HD-100 but do not know what direction I should go regarding a field monitor. I am looking for a 9-14 inch monitor that I can accurately reference while shooting on location for under $2,000.

Hi Denny: The Sony PVM-14L5/1 14" Color Multiformat Monitor is available within your budget range. For example, B&H in NYC currently has them in stock:
http://tinyurl.com/rcbf5

However, I can't tell from the description on B&H's site whether or not one of Sony's many interface cards is required to connect the JVC HD100's analog component 720p output to this monitor. B&H's sales staff should be able to answer that question -- or perhaps someone else here can verify this.

CineLab

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC