James Mann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 March 2006 - 02:05 AM

Hey all.

I am prepping a commercial to be shot over a period of four days in the southern california desert.
Fortunately we will be shooting during the four days of the full moon (in april). There are only two night exteriors but one requires a full moon (on the horizon).

Obviously, I could just go there the first nite and see where the moon comes up and then plan on shooting that direction the next nite BUT I would like to be a little more prepared than that.

I have been able to find plenty of data on moon rise times but I am yet to locate any source (like a SUNpath but for the moon) that can tell me exactly where that moon will show. We are going to scout next week and I would love to pick a location for the nite exterior that will work for the moonrise.

In addition, I thought that I would just pick your minds about shooting the moon. We will be shooting 35mm.
I am not trying to do a close up of the moon, we just want to have the moon in the shot and also a person.

I have also been thinking about trying to shoot the other nite exterior by the lite of the full moon. I thought maybe I could shoot at 3fps or less (and gain a few stops) and maybe then transfer at 3fps (...pros/cons...) and push a stop enabling me to rate (let's say) 5218 at 3200 iso. Crazy? Feasible? You make the call.

Thanks

James

Opal

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

CineTape

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio