Arnaud M. St Martin de Veyran
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Paris

Posted 09 March 2006 - 07:09 AM

Hi Guys !

I'm wondering what kind of effect we can produce with a different shutter angle than 180° ?

I know that more you go to 45°, sharper you get...right ?

I'm not looking to get a sharper image but just a slightly different feel of movement.
In private Ryan they used a 45° shutter angle for the beach scene and i think that in Gladiator they did the same kind of trick.

I would like to know if going 45° or 90° will create a different feel of movement for the audience when screening at 24fps ?

I know that i would have to do some test and i will but if someone can tell me his experience or any film that i should watch...

Otherwise, if i'm going for a 45° or 90° shutter angle which kind of troubles i'm going to encountered with sync sound, hmi, pan or anything else ?

Thanks in advance.

#2 oscar jimenez

oscar jimenez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • PANAMA, REPUBLIC OF PANAMA

Posted 10 March 2006 - 10:31 AM

Iguess it depends on what you are up to. I tend to use a 45 degree shutter even to avoid having ND's filters on cam. If I were shooting under a bright sun with a fast stock such as 200 or 250 ASA, I'd rather stick with 45 degree shutter and a pola filter rather than adding so much ND filters. 45 Degree gives you some cool strobing without being exaggerated or disturbing, for food works out great as so does with sports action shots. 90 degree is more moderate, if you are shooting more close ups or tight shots and panning. Anyway, should look for speeds VS HMI flickering on non electronic ballast units, but anyway there are speeds that are safe anyway for magnetic ballasts, 24, 30, 40, 60, 80, 120 FPS. they should be listed on the American Cinematographer Manual somewhere!!!.
Hope this helps. FX basicly is a strobe.
Oscar

Hi Guys !

I'm wondering what kind of effect we can produce with a different shutter angle than 180° ?

I know that more you go to 45°, sharper you get...right ?

I'm not looking to get a sharper image but just a slightly different feel of movement.
In private Ryan they used a 45° shutter angle for the beach scene and i think that in Gladiator they did the same kind of trick.

I would like to know if going 45° or 90° will create a different feel of movement for the audience when screening at 24fps ?

I know that i would have to do some test and i will but if someone can tell me his experience or any film that i should watch...

Otherwise, if i'm going for a 45° or 90° shutter angle which kind of troubles i'm going to encountered with sync sound, hmi, pan or anything else ?

Thanks in advance.

Tai Audio

The Slider

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera