• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 09 March 2006 - 02:34 PM

I thought you all might like a chance to oogle my new Arri IIIC. Apparently not many IIICs where made.

Specs on this unit:

-PL Mount

-1-80 fps.

-On board video assist.

-Orientatable view finder, keeps picture level across at all angles.

-Mounted on the Tobin speed base. The Tobin base provides for up to 50fps.

-Very small and compact.

-I have two 400ft mags and one 200ft mag.

A very nice little unit don't you think?

R,

Attached Images

• Arri_IIIC.JPG

#2 Rolfe Klement

Rolfe Klement
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Director
  • London | LA

Posted 09 March 2006 - 07:58 PM

very nice - I am jealous of your Jurgens door <_<

Did you get this on kitmondo - I thought I saw something very similar there?

now onto the £10k feature that grosses USD$600000000

enjoy

Rolfe

#3 zrszach

zrszach
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Student
  • Olathe, Kansas

Posted 09 March 2006 - 08:04 PM

I thought you all might like a chance to oogle my new Arri IIIC. Apparently not many IIICs where made.

Specs on this unit:

-PL Mount

-1-80 fps.

-On board video assist.

-Very small and compact.

R,

BEAUTIFUL!!!

Congrats man!!! cameras make me feel like a kid in a candy store :rolleyes:
do you have a lens set for it or do you plan on renting?

#4 Clive Tobin

Clive Tobin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Spokane Valley, WA, USA

Posted 09 March 2006 - 11:50 PM

Thanks for the mention.

By the way, the Tobin TXM-21Ab will most likely be discontinued when sold out so we can concentrate on selling our video transfer machines. At this writing there are about 3 left I think. So if you want a nifty setup like Richard's act now!

#5 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 10 March 2006 - 12:03 AM

"now onto the £10k feature that grosses USD$600000000"

He he, I wish :) It's funny you should mention a feature. I have all the gear I need to make a nice little indie feature, camera, lights, edit system, even a crane! And a modest budget that will cover film stock, processing, the odd actor here and there. But guess what, no feakin' script! The money and the gear it turns out are the easy parts, the script is the tough part. Lots of ideas but the most I've been able to write is 50 pages. Getting a polished 100 page script is very hard indeed. I've even read lots on Trigger Street and nothing :(

As for lenses, well I was going to rent. But...as luck would have it I found a new in the box Zeiss 24mm prime I could not say no to the price was so good. So I will have one very nice lens in house, and rent the rest. I hope that lens didn't fall off the back of a truck!

Any way my new set up is a lot nicer than much of the gear I see at my local rental house. They'll be jealous when I show them my IIIC next week, probably ask me if they can sub rent it :)

R,

PS: And yes Clive I'm giving you lots of free publicity, remember that when I call and order some thing next time :)

#6 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 10 March 2006 - 12:23 AM

"now onto the £10k feature that grosses USD$600000000"

He he, I wish :) It's funny you should mention a feature. I have all the gear I need to make a nice little indie feature, camera, lights, edit system, even a crane! And a modest budget that will cover film stock, processing, the odd actor here and there. But guess what, no feakin' script! The money and the gear it turns out are the easy parts, the script is the tough part. Lots of ideas but the most I've been able to write is 50 pages. Getting a polished 100 page script is very hard indeed. I've even read lots on Trigger Street and nothing :(

As for lenses, well I was going to rent. But...as luck would have it I found a new in the box Zeiss 24mm prime I could not say no to the price was so good. So I will have one very nice lens in house, and rent the rest. I hope that lens didn't fall off the back of a truck!

Any way my new set up is a lot nicer than much of the gear I see at my local rental house. They'll be jealous when I show them my IIIC next week, probably ask me if they can sub rent it :)

R,

PS: And yes Clive I'm giving you lots of free publicity, remember that when I call and order some thing next time :)

Man, ain't it the truth, a good script and a miniDV camcorder can be a good movie with rotten picture quality, a million dollars worth of equipment and no story = no movie, period. I feel your pain, I'm kinda in the same boat, I've got a pretty good story idea but turning it into a screenplay that works is not easy. However I am becoming fast friends with Syd Fields and Final Draft. :)

A motion picture without sound is a silent movie - - - Sound without a motion picture is the radio - - - A motion picture without a story is so many pounds of scrap plastic with some weird chemicals on it?

Edmond, OK

#7 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 10 March 2006 - 04:42 AM

The power broker has had a 3c listed for about 5 years for $13,500.
http://www.thepowerb...rri435_mos.html

Looks like your camera package!

Stephen

Specs on this unit:

-PL Mount

-1-80 fps.

-On board video assist.

-Very small and compact.

R,

#8 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 10 March 2006 - 10:43 AM

Yes very similar they are asking big money for that unit $13,500.00. Luckily I didn't have to pay near that much. So only 52 ever made eh? I own a piece of cinema history :)

R,

#9 Rupe Whiteman

Rupe Whiteman
  • Sustaining Members
  • 336 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 March 2006 - 12:15 PM

Yes very similar they are asking big money for that unit $13,500.00. Luckily I didn't have to pay near that much. So only 52 ever made eh? I own a piece of cinema history :)

R,

... nice looking classic camera... great to see a wartime (?) camera in such great condition, and great for hand-held work... by the way how noisy is it? okay for sync or does it need much blimping?

... 'Deakins b camera op used one on Jarhead I think... in an asc article he describes the operator adding a sports finder off of a speed graphic to it so he could run and follow the action (as well as possible!) because he could use the 'finder at speed...

Rupe Whiteman

#10 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 10 March 2006 - 02:52 PM

"great to see a wartime (?) camera in such great condition,"

Excuse me a wartime camera? Well according to this history of the Arri II camera site:

http://www.cinematec.../arri_35-2.html

You will find the following information:

"Arriflex 35 III C: 1982. Final refinement of the 35 II design. Featured PL mount (no turret). Hinged film door with new optics, three viewfinders available: Straight Door, Pivoting Door, and Hand-Held Door. Crystal sync handgrip motor of new design, 12VDC, forward-reverse 5-50fps. Very few were made."

The above description is accurate for my camera and you'll see the date of manufacture is 1982. So the question is what war are you referring to? Not WWII I assume as it was over in 1945.

The only major war in 1982 was the Falklands War, is that the "wartime" you're referring to?

R,

#11 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 March 2006 - 03:21 PM

R,

Do you have the original door and motor? That's really the only difference between a PL-front IIC and a IIIC. A Jurgens door can be put on either camera.

#12 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 10 March 2006 - 03:25 PM

"Do you have the original door and motor?"

I don't have the original door, it came with the Jurgens door.

As for the motors I have the speed base and the two motors it came with on ebay as I'll never use them now that I have the Tobin base.

I have been told the other change over the IIC is improved registation. We would need Arri to confirm that.

R,

#13 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 11 March 2006 - 02:53 PM

"As for the motors I have the speed base and the two motors it came with on ebay as I'll never use them now that I have the Tobin base.

---Surely the pistol gip motor must be better for hand holding than the Tobin base?

---LV

#14 Jonathan Spear

Jonathan Spear
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 March 2006 - 03:09 PM

""But guess what, no feakin' script! The money and the gear it turns out are the easy parts, the script is the tough part. Lots of ideas but the most I've been able to write is 50 pages. Getting a polished 100 page script is very hard indeed. I've even read lots on Trigger Street and nothing""

Richard,

If you think up a topic, I'll be happy to write one for ya. I could use the practice. Worst comes to worst -- you'll have 120 pages to.. well.. you now how expensive toilet paper is these days.

#15 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 11 March 2006 - 03:33 PM

"---Surely the pistol gip motor must be better for hand holding than the Tobin base?"

Yes you are 100% correct on that. But it's too much of a pain to get a separate battery system to run the Arri motors. I rarely if ever do handheld as I have my mini crane.

" If you think up a topic, I'll be happy to write one for ya. I could use the practice. Worst comes to worst -- you'll have 120 pages to.. well.. you now how expensive toilet paper is these days."

You can come up with a script that easily? How could we work together after calling each other every name in the book during past threads?

Although you raise a good point, maybe I should just place ads on Mandy and other production sites offering a $5000.00 cash prize for the first shootable script I can do. Maybe there's an undiscovered genius out there looking for his first big break? Maybe there's a famous script writer out there who needs the $5000.00 to finance his drug addiction and he's willing to work for a song :)

R,

#16 Jonathan Spear

Jonathan Spear
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 March 2006 - 04:07 PM

""You can come up with a script that easily?""

If it's a topic I'm genuinely intruiged with.. then yeah.. sure.

""How could we work together after calling each other every name in the book during past threads?""

Heh. Good point. That Far Side strip with a hunter and a grizzly bear trapped in a glass jar (w/ a label that reads "do not shake") comes to mind.

Water under the bridge.

""Although you raise a good point, maybe I should just place ads on Mandy and other production sites offering a $5000.00 cash prize for the first shootable script I can do. Maybe there's an undiscovered genius out there looking for his first big break? Maybe there's a famous script writer out there who needs the $5000.00 to finance his drug addiction and he's willing to work for a song :)""

Think of it as a homework assignment. No charge.

I'm hungry for a new challenge. :)

-Jonathan

#17 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 11 March 2006 - 04:57 PM

""You can come up with a script that easily?""

If it's a topic I'm genuinely intruiged with.. then yeah.. sure.

""How could we work together after calling each other every name in the book during past threads?""

Heh. Good point. That Far Side strip with a hunter and a grizzly bear trapped in a glass jar (w/ a label that reads "do not shake") comes to mind.

-Jonathan

ROXIE
'Cause I hate you.

VELMA
There's only one business in the world
that's no problem at all.

Nuff Said?

(PS: Cinematography.com formatting wouldn't let me enter the above in proper script form, what gives Tim?)

#18 Clive Tobin

Clive Tobin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Industry Rep

Posted 27 April 2006 - 07:43 PM

Thanks for the mention.By the way, the Tobin TXM-21Ab will most likely be discontinued when sold out so we can concentrate on selling our video transfer machines. At this writing there are about 3 left I think. So if you want a nifty setup like Richard's act now!

The LAST new TXM-21Ab crystal motor is now up on Ebay. It is subject to prior sale from the website and cancellation. It was up on Ebay before but the high bidder is a deadbeat who never paid for it after a couple of weeks of excuses and stalling, plus the final price was too low to offer it to the runner-up.

#19 andres victorero

andres victorero
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Spain

Posted 28 April 2006 - 08:32 AM

SWEET camera but if you paint the base of black ... looks better ;)

#20 Clive Tobin

Clive Tobin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Industry Rep

Posted 29 April 2006 - 11:38 AM

SWEET camera but if you paint the base of black ... looks better ;)

Why is it a convention that a movie camera should be black? I personally don't care for the Darth Vader look plus it is hard to make out the camera's features. Modern cameras are in shades of grey.

A white film magazine should be the norm. White will reflect sunlight when shooting outdoors and prevent excess heat buildup of the film, reducing spoiling of it. The camera should likewise be white or near-white to match.

Tai Audio

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc