#1 Mihai Meda

Mihai Meda
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Student

Posted 10 March 2006 - 02:47 PM

Hello,

Some 35BL1s are fitted with a PL mount in order to minimize the sound coming through the lens mount. People are doing this (or did this), I believe, to eliminate the big lens blimp necessary when shooting with the BL1 (leaving the other PL advantages aside).

I've been shooting with a ArriBL-1 that was fitted with a BNCR mount. I wonder if the BNCR mount performs the same function as the PL mount in terms of eliminating some of the noise. The BNCR mount is even stronger, so I would think it is at least as good as the PL mount as far as decibels are concerned.

Anyone has a more informed answer on this issue?

Thanks.

#2 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 March 2006 - 02:58 PM

The BNCR is considered the strongest of all camera mounts. However, if you're using it on a BL-1, then the overall camera noise is probably louder than it would be with the original standard mount/lens blimp combination. What's been your experience? Are there certain situaltions where you've been limited by camera noise, and how do you work around it?

#3 Mihai Meda

Mihai Meda
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Student

Posted 10 March 2006 - 03:40 PM

The problem is that I have never shot with a BL-1 fitted with a PL mount, or a BL-1 with the original mount and lens blimp. Only with the BL-1 fitted with the BNCR mount, so I have no terms of compairisons. I don't know which option is noisiest. Thus my question above.

Outdoors I have no problems. Indoors, I use my barney on the camera (body AND magazine), and sideways the noise is fine. But there is still noise out in the front, coming through the lens. But again, I don't know if it's better or worse then the other set-ups mentioned above.

Any other experiences or ideas about BNCR vs PL in terms of noise?

#4 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 10 March 2006 - 05:22 PM

The problem is that I have never shot with a BL-1 fitted with a PL mount, or a BL-1 with the original mount and lens blimp. Only with the BL-1 fitted with the BNCR mount, so I have no terms of compairisons. I don't know which option is noisiest. Thus my question above.

Outdoors I have no problems. Indoors, I use my barney on the camera (body AND magazine), and sideways the noise is fine. But there is still noise out in the front, coming through the lens. But again, I don't know if it's better or worse then the other set-ups mentioned above.

Any other experiences or ideas about BNCR vs PL in terms of noise?

Hi,

P+S technik stopped converting BL1's to PL mount, as the finished camera was too noisy.

Stephen

#5 Mihai Meda

Mihai Meda
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Student

Posted 10 March 2006 - 05:36 PM

OK so the BL1 with PL mount is noisier than the original BL1 with a lens blimp. That's one answer. It means the best results are still attainable only with the old lens blimp...

The second question (the one that started the thread), is the camera less noisy with a PL mount than with a BNCR mount? That would mean the PL has something (soundwise) that the BNCR doesn't, and I certanly don't think that's the case.

Bottom line, I got acceptable results with the BNCR mount even indoors. Of course, it depends on the mic placement, distance to the camera etc etc.

#6 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 March 2006 - 05:57 PM

Bottom line, I got acceptable results with the BNCR mount even indoors. Of course, it depends on the mic placement, distance to the camera etc etc.

Since you are the one that started the thread, it's easy to assume you were NOT satisifed with the noise levels coming out of the camera, otherwise you wouldn't have asked if changing the mount to a PL would help. It probably won't. That camera eminates around 39db without the blimp. By comparison, a BL-4 puts out around 22 db. That's a significant difference.

#7 Mihai Meda

Mihai Meda
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Student

Posted 10 March 2006 - 06:06 PM

Hello,

I started the thread to find an answer out of curiousity. I own a set of prime lenses with BNCR mounts so I have no intention whatsoever of spending money towards changing the mount (and lenses) to PL.

But seeing in more than one place that fitting the camera with a PL mount "eliminates the need of the infamous lens blimp", I just wondered if I'm lucky enough (with my BNCR mount) to have the same advantage as with a PL. That's all.

Of course everyone wants better results in all directions, but basically I didn't start the thread because I was dissatisfied, it was only to find out if the PL and BNCR are the same soundwise.

Thanks!

#8 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 March 2006 - 06:23 PM

If your current rig is too noisy, and you want to continue to use those lenses, you may want to look into getting at least a BL-3, which can be converted to a BNCR front. There were numerous internal changes made between the BL-2 and BL-3 that account for a sizeable drop in noise level.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Opal

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC