• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Edge

Robert Edge
  • Sustaining Members
  • 401 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 March 2006 - 05:09 PM

I have a camera that can run on four 3v CR123 batteries. There are rechargeable CR123s, but the ones that I have been able to find on the internet actually deliver somewhat more, closer to 3.3v. I'm not inclined to find out through experimentation how my camera will respond. Does anyone know of a rechargeable CR123 that delivers a stable 3v?

Thanks

#2 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 10 March 2006 - 09:52 PM

I have a camera that can run on four 3v CR123 batteries. There are rechargeable CR123s, but the ones that I have been able to find on the internet actually deliver somewhat more, closer to 3.3v. I'm not inclined to find out through experimentation how my camera will respond. Does anyone know of a rechargeable CR123 that delivers a stable 3v?

Thanks

Can you test and simulate the load of the camera and see what they put out under those conditions? Actual delivered battery voltages and battery ratings can sometime differ.

#3 Robert Edge

Robert Edge
  • Sustaining Members
  • 401 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 March 2006 - 11:10 PM

Charles,

What I know is that the camera runs on 12v and all of the rechargeable CR123 batteries that I can identify deliver, when there are four of them, closer to 13v.

If I wanted to power a flashlight, I wouldn't hesitate to use these batteries.

Given that I want to power a camera that is worth quite a lot money, I'm less keen to play Benjamin Franklin.

I don't even understand why the rechargeable CR123 batteries that I can find don't deliver a stable charge.

I will be speaking with the manufacturer of the camera this week about purchasing a time code product and I'll probably ask, during our discussion, whether the camera electronics will fry if the voltage hits 13v.

I HAVE come across a suggestion on the internet, on a wilderness camping site, that there exists a stable CR123 battery, but the site did not mention a brand name and I have been unable, if such a product exists, to locate it.

#4 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 10 March 2006 - 11:49 PM

Charles,

What I know is that the camera runs on 12v and all oof the rechargeable CR123 batteries that I can identify deliver, when there are four of them, closer to 13v.
I will be speaking with the manufacturer of the camera this week and I'll probably ask, during our discussion, whether the camera electronics migt fry if the voltage hits 13v.

The camera manufacturer will know what the tolerance is for the voltage for sure. IN fact if they are careful sorts they may have designed in some voltage regulation in case someone decides to make up a car cord to run the camera from a Lighter socket in a car. (where the voltage can go to 14Volts with spikes..)

The difference in voltage you are seeing is probaly just the different chemicals used. A CR123 is a 3.0v Lithium battery. The rechargeable batteries use slightly different chemistry (lithium Ion) and so have different output voltages. IN fact I checking this post, I found a dealrer selling some with a 3.6 volt output!

When I was sugesting a test, I would thinking more of setting up a resostor with the same draw as your camera, to see what the voltage drops to under load. All batteries give out a lower voltage when loaded down. Only if the Output would be in spec for the camera would you try them with the actual unit. You could buy a lot of CR123 regular batteries for the price of one trip to a camera repair shop.

I did find at least one place selling some that SAY they have a 3 volt output
http://www.batteries...roducts_id=1189
But Your mileage may vary.

#5 Fran Kuhn

Fran Kuhn
  • Sustaining Members
  • 352 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 March 2006 - 02:58 AM

I will be speaking with the manufacturer of the camera this week about purchasing a time code product and I'll probably ask, during our discussion, whether the camera electronics will fry if the voltage hits 13v.

I've got a couple of the Aaton high-power rechargeable batteries for the A-Minima, and I believe the camera's on-board diagnostic voltage readout is typically 13.1 volts with a full charge. I think the internal, non-rechargeable CR123s, when new, read 12.3-to-12.5 volts. I'd be interested in hearing what Abel has to say.

#6 Robert Edge

Robert Edge
  • Sustaining Members
  • 401 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 March 2006 - 01:15 PM

I've got a couple of the Aaton high-power rechargeable batteries for the A-Minima, and I believe the camera's on-board diagnostic voltage readout is typically 13.1 volts with a full charge. I think the internal, non-rechargeable CR123s, when new, read 12.3-to-12.5 volts. I'd be interested in hearing what Abel has to say.

In case you are interested, I just put new CR123s into the camera. The initial read was 12.4v, which is what you predicted. The read while the camera was running was 10.9v-11.2v, mostly 11.2v. The read after the camera was stopped was 11.7v.

#7 Fran Kuhn

Fran Kuhn
  • Sustaining Members
  • 352 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 March 2006 - 06:00 PM

In case you are interested, I just put new CR123s into the camera. The initial read was 12.4v, which is what you predicted. The read while the camera was running was 10.9v-11.2v, mostly 11.2v. The read after the camera was stopped was 11.7v.

Thant seems to make sense; It always seems new batteries test out at higher than their nominal voltage.

I believe the higher voltage rechargeable Aaton A-Minima cells were designed primarily to get the camera to operate in the 30-to-50fps range since it will only get to 30fps with the internal CR123s.

I remember when I did my first shoot with an Arriflex 435 (and with a real crew), I noticed the 1st AC would check the battery voltage between takes and would call for a replacement right around the time the one in use droped to it's nominal output i.e.: 24 volts.

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Ritter Battery

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc