#1 Eric Steelberg ASC

Eric Steelberg ASC
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 10 March 2006 - 09:56 PM

I want to apologize to anyone who came to the panel for my film at yesterday's HD Expo. We were assured that because it's the "HD Expo" the HD clips of our film would benefit from great HD projection equipment.

Well...

It never got dark in the tent so it was hard to make out the image and they "only" had a inexpensive playback deck with 2 channel audio (our non-dolby audio was on channels 3&4) causing silent clips. The projector itself sucked...or it was poorly downconverted before it got to the projector.

I was pretty embarrassed (the director horrified) that the HD Expo basically had the worst viewing environment possible. Kind of reinforced why we decided to make a print of the film. Kind of hard to half ass a 35mm projection setup...it forces you to get it right.

Anyway, if you were there to see clips of the film I apologize. The film should be out in August and I encourge you to see it then in a proper theater.

#2 Justin Hayward

Justin Hayward
  • Sustaining Members
  • 928 posts
  • Director
  • Chicago, IL.

Posted 10 March 2006 - 10:10 PM

It sounds like someone should be apologizing to you.

#3 Chris Fernando

Chris Fernando
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 10 March 2006 - 11:19 PM

Was it me or did the whole thing seem a bit apologetic?

I've got my ideas but does anyone else have any insight into/thoughts on why these HD "events" seem to get a bit more, shall we say, unimpressive; every year?

#4 Eric Steelberg ASC

Eric Steelberg ASC
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 10 March 2006 - 11:55 PM

Probably because enough people have real world experience with it now and don't buy into all the marketing hype. Sales people always put me off.

Now if the Expo was full of filmmakers pitching the stuff and talking about their experinces...like I was...it would be more informative. I've never quite understood why Panasonic, for example, doesn't have guest filmmakers at these things in addition to sales people.

And for god's sake...can any of these people get CINEMATOGRAPHERS to shoot some GOOD footage?? A good picture's worth a thousand words.

#5 Chris Fernando

Chris Fernando
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 11 March 2006 - 12:18 AM

It always amazes me when someone has an opportunity to run with the ball but just ends up dropping it, rookie mistakes, I guess.

I was late and didn't get a chance to see the clips of your film (sounds like I lucked out in not seeing it, though), but it seems to me that they could have handled screening clips of the first HD film to win major awards at Sundance, a bit more professionally and considerately. Either way, congratulations once again, sorry the expo wasn't all it could've been, and look forward to seeing it in theatres (the way it was meant to be seen).

#6 Kai.w

Kai.w
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2006 - 05:33 AM

And for god's sake...can any of these people get CINEMATOGRAPHERS to shoot some GOOD footage?? A good picture's worth a thousand words.

Qouted for agreement. Sometimes I think Sony has a great talent in chosing the most ugly footage for their HD presentations. Really amazing.

-k

Opal

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post