stocks that dont cut well together?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shane grace

shane grace
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2006 - 12:34 AM

Hello....

Im always reading about many stocks that cut well together (sometimes even described as 'beautifully cut' ?) . To this day I cant remember any combinations.... so maybe if someone can suggest a 'bad' combination that they have experienced, I may be more inclined to remember.... :)

Any opinions, info would be great.

Thanks in advance

Shane Grace

#2 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 11 March 2006 - 10:33 AM

Unless you're trying to create a certain "effect", you're best off not mixing different stocks within the same scene. No two look alike. However, one recent exception would be from "Walk the Line", where a shot of a tractor at the top of a hill was done on Kodak. When the tractor ended up going down the hill and into a lake, the stock switched to Fuji 500D (with a corresponding bump in the green level). I believe this was done specifically to compensate for the dwindling light level.

#3 rajavel

rajavel
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2006 - 12:15 AM

oh god
dont even try this unless u want it that way. i had a bad experiecne regarding this. i was shooting a song with 250 D 5205 in a remote place(water fall) in kerala in india. i just needed one more can to finish the sequence...but i was out of stock. the production managers got me a fresh can of 250 D..but it was not from the vision 2 series..it was 5245. though i was shocked...i ddnt have an option to wait....so i shot it. and got a bigger shock when it was finallyedited and printed for the theatre release.....there was a bluish cast on the shots of 5245.....they were not cutting well! period.
was trying to upload that song on this couldn't. but it is on the www.youtube.com .....search for the title 'malare malare' under the video section.

any comments on my experince!
thanks
rajavel

#4 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 13 March 2006 - 08:49 AM

dont even try this unless u want it that way. i had a bad experiecne regarding this. i was shooting a song with 250 D 5205 in a remote place(water fall) in kerala in india. i just needed one more can to finish the sequence...but i was out of stock. the production managers got me a fresh can of 250 D..but it was not from the vision 2 series..it was 5245. though i was shocked...i ddnt have an option to wait....so i shot it. and got a bigger shock when it was finallyedited and printed for the theatre release.....there was a bluish cast on the shots of 5245.....they were not cutting well! period.
thanks
rajavel

Although 5245 does have a slightly different "look" than the Kodak VISION2 films, there shouldn't be anything that would cause a "bluish cast" that wouldn't be correctable during the color grading/timing process. Is there any chance that the 5245 was really old or had been stored improperly (heat) ? --- this could increase the fog level which could show as a colored cast in the shadow areas.

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

Glidecam

The Slider