#1 Craig Agee

Craig Agee
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Other
  • indianapolis

Posted 11 March 2006 - 02:15 AM

alright so im about to process my very first roll of s16 or any film for that matter.im curious what kinda workflow i should get into....i can edit a workprint although they seem to be expensive...i have no idea what my telecine options are.my questions: what telecine option would you reccomend? what is a ballpark figure for that service?...this is just a test shoot/edit to try to get an effecient workflow for projects im new to this.should i edit a workprint myself or edit on my computer?i have access to a g5 with final cut but i got a pc here with adobe premiere.prefer to use my own PC but its not a great machine for it.so yes..effeciency and cheaper is my goal but without sacrificing my $50 a roll s16 quality,is that too much to ask?

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 18 March 2006 - 11:12 PM

alright so im about to process my very first roll of s16 or any film for that matter.im curious what kinda workflow i should get into....i can edit a workprint although they seem to be expensive...i have no idea what my telecine options are.my questions: what telecine option would you reccomend? what is a ballpark figure for that service?...this is just a test shoot/edit to try to get an effecient workflow for projects im new to this.should i edit a workprint myself or edit on my computer?i have access to a g5 with final cut but i got a pc here with adobe premiere.prefer to use my own PC but its not a great machine for it.so yes..effeciency and cheaper is my goal but without sacrificing my $50 a roll s16 quality,is that too much to ask?

Well, what media do you want to finish on? I think what I would do is get a one-light transfer done, edit that. Send your EDL with your negatives to a conformer to be cut. Then from that cut neg, you can do whatever you want.

#3 stephen lamb

stephen lamb
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York, Connecticut

Posted 01 May 2006 - 01:36 PM

What is your final venue going to be? Home viewing for you and your friends? Local TV? DVD authoring to try and get video distribution? National TV? Theatrical release?
Everything you do stems from that, plus of course your budget. you say this is just a test to figure out a good workflow for future projects, so where are your future projects going to end up? If you know that, you can then more easily decide which production/post production route ought to be taken. The simplest thing to do would be to get the film processed, and then transferred to a miniDV or DVCAM tape. You can easily capture that onto either computer you want, and either machine will run it just fine. From there all you can do is go up, Beta SP, DigiBeta, HD of various sorts. In this day and age, i think the only reason you would want to get a workprint made for you to edit on, would be if you are trying to finish your projects on film. Even then, if you are planning on blowing up to 35mm, a DI route might be better than an optical print. Of course, if you just want to learn what it is like to edit on film, the "old fashioned" way, then of course go ahead and get a workprint. So many choices, it gets frustrating sometimes...but at the same time...it means plenty of flexiblity.
Cheers
Steve

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery