#1 Sam Care

Sam Care
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London, UK

Posted 12 March 2006 - 05:21 AM

I am shooting a film in Nigeria in July. It is mostly being shot in and around Lagos. I was wondering if anyone has shot there before and has any advice or experiences to share with me. We are getting camera equipment from London, but lighting and grip are being hired in Nigeria. We are also considering whether to use a lab in Nigeria or in London.

Thanks. Sam

#2 Dominic Case

Dominic Case
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 12 March 2006 - 06:08 PM

You will be searching for a long time to find a motion picture lab in Nigeria (or anywhere else in West Africa).

Normally it's good to use a local lab - but in this case, the most local lab is in London! (Or Cairo or Cape Town, both roughly equidistant!)

#3 Rolfe Klement

Rolfe Klement
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Director
  • London | LA

Posted 13 March 2006 - 06:03 PM

Africa - you either love it or you hate it or you were born there....

Shooting in Africa (except South Africa) is a whole new experience. The main Nigerian tribe (Hausa and Fal.. something) are considered among the most hectic in Africa except maybe the Ijaws and Tutsis. Ghanians and Zimbos don't trust them at ALL!

I have never been to Lagos but it should be kind of siilar to Accra or even Harare (where I have spent much time.)

The road between the president's house and parliament and the airport is always fantastic but the rest is one big mud pothole.

Expect random taxes, parking fees etc from heavily armed teenagers - make sure your prod company set you up with a good "fixer." Be carfeul of being charged in FOREX (USD and GBP) at high rates.

It is hot and humid and rains very heavily if the ITCZ is overhead

Maybe I am pessimistic but I have seen the life expectancy in Zimbabwe go from 64 (1982) to 34 (2005)

Depending where you are - be careful of Malaria (one of the problems with taking preventative malaria medicine is that the medicine creates the same symptoms as malaria and makes diagnosis difficult) - but if you find yourself putting on a sweater when it is 39'C outside and you want to sleep 20hrs a day then you better go see a doctor real quick - it is an easy thing to 'cure"

oh - be careful of the presidentail motorcades - they have some weird rules - in Zimbabwe you have to stop your car and pull over and pedestrains have to look away - otherwise you get shot. You are not allowed to take photos of the presidentail palaces or stop your car anywhere near them - if you do you will be shot. The presidentail guards in Zimbabwe and Ghana are the best paid and most ruthless divisions in the army - I imagine something similar in Nigeria

my 2 cents and I still love AFRICA

Rolfe

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Technodolly

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

Glidecam