filter key for yashica super 800

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wally

wally
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 07:54 AM

Dear super 8 friends, I am the proud owner of a brand new Yashica super 800 electro. It has never been used, but unfortunately is missing the filter key. Is there any way to replace this key, can I fabricate it myself? I would be very thankful if someone could send me a template with the shape of the key and the thickness of it. Any other options are welcome.

Also, if using it without the key, in daylight, should I use a non tungsten balanced film and just shoot?

Thanks a lot for any help.

Regards from Chile to all super 8 lovers,
Wally

#2 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 12 March 2006 - 02:24 PM

Dear super 8 friends, I am the proud owner of a brand new Yashica super 800 electro. It has never been used, but unfortunately is missing the filter key. Is there any way to replace this key, can I fabricate it myself? I would be very thankful if someone could send me a template with the shape of the key and the thickness of it. Any other options are welcome.

Also, if using it without the key, in daylight, should I use a non tungsten balanced film and just shoot?

Thanks a lot for any help.

Regards from Chile to all super 8 lovers,
Wally

I don't know if the filter slot is the same for all cameras or not. I have found that an American Quarter works in Eumig and Nikon super-8 cameras. Just don't force it if it doesn't want to go in your Yashica filter slot. Let us know if it works and then it can be added to the list!

#3 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2420 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 12 March 2006 - 03:00 PM

The key is only a mechanical lever. Anything that fits snug in the slot and comes out again should do. I used to use an English 2p piece on my first camera. You can tell it's working by looking at the meter needle, or by looking through the front element- you should be able to see the filter move.
You could use daylight film, but the camera needs to be able to read the ASA correctly from the cartridge.

#4 Rick Palidwor

Rick Palidwor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Director

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:49 PM

Try a stiff piece of plastic.

Rick

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

The Slider