6 replies to this topic

#1 Taggart A Lee

Taggart A Lee
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 March 2006 - 12:02 AM

Is there anyway of doing a timelapse (say, 12-24 hours) with the DVX for an output to iMovie?

Taggart Lee
DP/LA
www.taggartlee.com

#2 Hans Kellner

Hans Kellner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Other
  • Northern California

Posted 08 April 2006 - 12:24 PM

Is there anyway of doing a timelapse (say, 12-24 hours) with the DVX for an output to iMovie?

I don't believe the newer DVX100b supports interval mode any longer. But the 100a does.

Although, I would highly recommend using a digital still camera and computer to capture a long timelapse. I have done timelapses with both my DVX100a and a digital camera. In the digital camera route was far easier, captured higher resolution iamges, and was far less wear and tear on my DVX.

Here's an example of a sunset I shot with my DVX:

http://www.hanskelln...usic_video.html

And here's a timelapse interval chart that's helpful:

http://www.chatercam.....pse Chart.pdf

#3 Shawn Murphy

Shawn Murphy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Seattle

Posted 08 April 2006 - 07:21 PM

nice, I loved the deep red in the clouds near the end. Any particular interval settings, and how long did it run for?

#4 Luke Prendergast

Luke Prendergast
  • Sustaining Members
  • 491 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Victoria Australia

Posted 09 April 2006 - 12:12 AM

If you can tether to a PC, WinDV is a cool and very tiny utility with the option to capture every n'th frame.

#5 Hans Kellner

Hans Kellner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Other
  • Northern California

Posted 09 April 2006 - 02:03 PM

nice, I loved the deep red in the clouds near the end. Any particular interval settings, and how long did it run for?

Thanks. Yes the sunset that evening was beautiful.

In this case I simply ran the tape live rather than use interval mode. I don't recall the total running time of the original capture but it was under an hour. I didn't use interval mode because I wanted a continuous capture to be able to play around with various rate adjustments.

#6 edin burgan

edin burgan

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other
  • Norway

Posted 17 April 2006 - 04:46 AM

Hi there
I enjoyed this a lot. I`ve just started using a DVX100E (Pal) and the effects and things are all becoming clearer with practice and of course forums like this. Thanks for the table too.
Best wishes
I

#7 AStar

AStar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 04:46 PM

Use digital still camera and a laptop. Most digital cameras come with software that lets you set the stop, light balance, shutter speed, and interval of the pictures taken. Depending on the quality of the digital still camera, you can vary the interval down to pretty quick like every 5 sec. You can probubly get a faster interval, but my old laptop that care enough about to leave in the rain and sticks will not grab the shots much faster. You can then import the still image sequence into your favorite NLE and render to DV. Since you are working with still frames, the color space is better for correcting and the image size generally far exceeds DV, so you can zoom in on the frames without image degredation. You can also fit a 1280x720 frame size inside a 1600x1200 image size(I use a cheap camera,) so you could render out to 720p HD, if you wanted to.

I have found that powering the laptop and camera for 12-24 hours the biggest problem when doing remote location timelapse. I created a simple extended run power supply using a DC/AC inverter and a car battery that runs my setup for about 48 hours.

~aaron

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Visual Products

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam