Photo

How quickly does a camera's value depreciate?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 deshpark

deshpark

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Producer

Posted 13 March 2006 - 01:52 PM

It seems to me that well-maintained camera packages retain their value amazingly well (almost too well, from a buyer's perspective!). Has anyone come across a rough formula for calculating the value of a camera over time -- assuming the camera remains in good shape and the market doesn't crumble?

This is a question about 16mm cameras in general, although in my case, I'm looking to buy a used Aaton XTR prod package.

I'll take a stab in the dark and put the rate that camera's lose their value at 3 to 5 percent per year. I'd love for someone more knowledgeable to correct me.

#2 Josh Hill

Josh Hill
  • Sustaining Members
  • 258 posts
  • Other
  • New York, NY

Posted 13 March 2006 - 03:13 PM

I don't think there really is a way to judge camera depreciation as you would, say, an automobile. Since the quality of the image is really determined by film and lenses rather than the camera itself, a thirty year old camera can produce similar images to a brand new camera. At 3 to 5 percent per year, in twenty years a camera would be worthless. But my CP16 was 1200 and worth every penny and it is closer to 30 years old.

For an Aaton XTR, I don't think you're going to be able to pay less than 20k USD for it and probably closer to 30k.

Cameras are also a sellers market because they are highly specialized instruments. It's not a car where the buyer has unlimited choices. Slap to the word "professional" on something and the price skyrockets, but unlike profession video cameras (or cars) a film camera does not go instantly obsolete with the newest model.

My suggestion would be shop around and find the package that suits you. Visual Products is usually a good gauge for how much a camera package in good condition will cost. You can usually haggle over the finer points of the price, as well. Don't expect to get 10k knocked off of it, but a few hundred dollars, maybe.

#3 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 13 March 2006 - 03:22 PM

And if you are looking for an XTR, definitely talk to AbelCineTech in New York. They have always given me very competitive prices and their gear is well maintained.

-Tim Carroll

#4 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 13 March 2006 - 03:37 PM

It seems to me that well-maintained camera packages retain their value amazingly well (almost too well, from a buyer's perspective!). Has anyone come across a rough formula for calculating the value of a camera over time -- assuming the camera remains in good shape and the market doesn't crumble?

This is a question about 16mm cameras in general, although in my case, I'm looking to buy a used Aaton XTR prod package.

I'll take a stab in the dark and put the rate that camera's lose their value at 3 to 5 percent per year. I'd love for someone more knowledgeable to correct me.

Hi,

A great deal depends how much longer film is in use and how trendy the camera is when you want to sell it.

A 70 year old Mitchell will sell on Ebay for about the same as it was new!
I bought a 25 year Old Ultracam Package last year for about 7% ot its original cost price, the seller was desperate to sell that day! OK both are 35mm cameras.

Stephen

#5 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 14 March 2006 - 03:42 PM

I would put the depreciation rate at 8-10%, but on a log scale. So using 10%, if it was worth 50k when you bought it, a year later it would be worth 45k, then a year after that it would be worth 40.5k, then 36.45, and so on.

#6 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 14 March 2006 - 03:56 PM

I think, when they get a certain age, their depreciation slows way down. But remember, you are talking purchase price. After I bought an Arriflex SR1 a few years ago, it cost $1300 to have the camera and lens cleaned, lubed and adjusted. But when I considered selling it a couple of months ago, I was offered the same price I paid for the camera when I bought it. So although the camera did not depriciate at all in the two years I owned it, it still cost me $1300 to own a "professional" motion picture camera for two years.

-Tim Carroll

#7 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 March 2006 - 02:24 PM

I would put the depreciation rate at 8-10%, but on a log scale. So using 10%, if it was worth 50k when you bought it, a year later it would be worth 45k, then a year after that it would be worth 40.5k, then 36.45, and so on.

That's about the way to do it, I think. Like most things as soon as it's "used" the value jumps down but after that it goes pretty slowly. Good cameras really don't go bad.

CineLab

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

Visual Products