#1 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 13 March 2006 - 05:18 PM

I'm starting to wonder if buying DVD's isn't a kind of illness but anyway aside from that, I just picked up the following DVD's from the local pound shop:

Corrupt Lieutenant starring Harvey Keitel and John Lydon (!!!!)
Ride in the whirlwind starring Jack Nicholson.

Apparently Mr Taarantino likes the second of these films. I havn't watched either yet.
Has anyone here seen either?

Other films I have picked up include:

Buckets of Blood
Carnival of Souls
Bride of the Monster
The little shop of horrors
and some others, including a DVD with 3 hitchcock films.

(yeah I like B movie horror films!) ;)

Does anyone here have any recommendations for pound shop type movies to look out for?

I came across a film called LA crimewave by Michael Mann that I assume is a must miss, but I welcome comments anyway! ;)

#2 Ian Marks

Ian Marks
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2006 - 02:39 PM

What in the world is a "pound" shop?

Here in L.A., we have a chain of stores called "99 Cent Only" which spawned a bunch of imitators based on having everything priced in the neighborhood of a buck (a U.S. dollar to you, Freya), so maybe you have something similar there based on the pound?

"Corrupt Lieutenant" sounds like "Bad Lieutenant," in which Harvey Keitel is a cop investigating the murder of a nun. I seem to remember it being really gritty and bleak, in an effective way. Definitely worth a buck to have in your collection.

"LA Crimewave" sounds like "To Live and Die in L.A.," very stylish in a dated, Michael Mann-ish way. I'm a big admirer of Mr. Mann, so I think this one is also is also worth a buck (or pound).

Strangely, the video bin at our 99 Cent store is filled with movies featuring the Olsen Twins and cheesy chop-socky movies. Bleah.

#3 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 15 March 2006 - 03:34 PM

I'm starting to wonder if buying DVD's isn't a kind of illness but anyway aside from that, I just picked up the following DVD's from the local pound shop:

Corrupt Lieutenant starring Harvey Keitel and John Lydon (!!!!)
Ride in the whirlwind starring Jack Nicholson.

Apparently Mr Taarantino likes the second of these films. I havn't watched either yet.
Has anyone here seen either?

Other films I have picked up include:

Buckets of Blood
Carnival of Souls
Bride of the Monster
The little shop of horrors
and some others, including a DVD with 3 hitchcock films.

(yeah I like B movie horror films!) ;)

Does anyone here have any recommendations for pound shop type movies to look out for?

I came across a film called LA crimewave by Michael Mann that I assume is a must miss, but I welcome comments anyway! ;)

#4 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 15 March 2006 - 04:11 PM

What in the world is a "pound" shop?

Here in L.A., we have a chain of stores called "99 Cent Only" which spawned a bunch of imitators based on having everything priced in the neighborhood of a buck (a U.S. dollar to you, Freya), so maybe you have something similar there based on the pound?

"Corrupt Lieutenant" sounds like "Bad Lieutenant," in which Harvey Keitel is a cop investigating the murder of a nun. I seem to remember it being really gritty and bleak, in an effective way. Definitely worth a buck to have in your collection.

"LA Crimewave" sounds like "To Live and Die in L.A.," very stylish in a dated, Michael Mann-ish way. I'm a big admirer of Mr. Mann, so I think this one is also is also worth a buck (or pound).

Strangely, the video bin at our 99 Cent store is filled with movies featuring the Olsen Twins and cheesy chop-socky movies. Bleah.

You've got it!

and in Germany they even used to have a 99 fennig shop (everything in the shop is 33p!) Now they have gone Euro I expect it is a 99cent shop tho. :(

I just had to see corrupt Lieutenant to see Harvey Keitel acting opposite John Lydon!

LA crimewave is the same as la takedown or made in LA according to imdb, is that the same film you talk of?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097700/

All the multiple titles drive me a bit crazy. You will be dead jealous but I managed to find a Mario Bava film called "Beyond the door", well that's what it's called this week anyway, also "suspense" amd "schock" when it feels like a change.

I thought these kind of films would be in the pound shop type places everywhere but you guys have the olsen twins, which I have only seen for sale in supermarkets. I have no idea what chop socky is??? What is that???

love

Freya

Edited by Freya, 15 March 2006 - 04:12 PM.

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

Opal

Glidecam

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

CineTape