• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 March 2006 - 06:59 PM

There's a standard in the works for putting pan and scan data into digital tapes, so that you could play either the original or the p/s from the same tape, just by running the output thru a box that would read the data and select the portion of the image needed for the alternate aspect ratio. I've just joined the discussion on it, and I've suggested that they might want to have room for two or more sets of pan/scan data, for instance to get both 1.78 and 1.33 versions from a 2.39 movie.

They're having trouble believing that you might want to use pixels in a 1.33 p/s from 2.39 that aren't in the 1.78 p/s. My example is a three shot, where you might want to make a tight three in 1.78, but eliminate one actor and make a two shot in 1.33. One of the engineers is asking me for specific examples of three shots in scope movies. I think there must be lots of them, maybe we could put together a list of the most memorable and vital scope three shots. Anyhow, I told them I could get one on tape from "Braveheart".

It would help if we had a cinematographer on the list who has shot a scope picture and done the p/s to both 1.33 and 1.78.

If any of you want to get into the SMPTE discussion, it happens via e-mail on a majordomo list. You can subscribe by sending an e-mail to:

majordomo@eng.smpte.org

with this command in the body of the message:

subscribe s22-imageform

To send an e-mail to Graham Jones, who runs the list, send it to:

owner-s22-imageform@eng.smpte.org

-- J.S.

#2 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 March 2006 - 08:00 PM

Just got a phone call from the engineer asking the question. He's convinced now of the need for separate p/s for 1.33 and 1.78. Still it would be good to have someone with recent experience on the list.....

-- J.S.

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 March 2006 - 08:08 PM

A typical scenario is where you can just fit two principles in the 1.78 extraction, hugging the ends of the frame, but only one person in 1.33 so you might as well create a better 1.33 composition with that one person.

Opal

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

CineTape

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC