#1 paradigm

paradigm

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student

Posted 14 March 2006 - 12:28 AM

Im fresh into movie making, Im basically doing crash courses on things to do, lol im basically taking baby steps, i've achieved making short films, and even making music video montauge with action clips...nothing to difficult, however my newest challenge was actually making a music video, the only program i've actually been able to find is ulead 9 which is alright for the short films and rather irritating for the montauge...but i find it almost impossible to be able to do the lip syncing as the program is slow to show previews and the drag and drop isn't reliable...are there any other programs or techniques anyone would suggest to make this task a lot easier?

#2 Brian Wells

Brian Wells
  • Sustaining Members
  • 438 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 March 2006 - 12:52 AM

Video work requires relatively up to date computer hardware; try using a faster computer.

On the software side of things, I would say that Adobe Premiere Elements offers a bare minimum of the types of tools required for precision editing at a fairly low price (around $100).

#3 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 16 March 2006 - 03:07 PM

Most precise syncing is done in programs like Pro Tools and such were you're not bound by frames. Almost all non linear editors will only allow you to sync up sound to each frame of video, which is a bit limiting sometimes - to achieve perfect sync one might need more intervals than that. But for most work a NLE is fine. I'd suggest you try Final Cut Pro, Avid Express or Premier Pro.

#4 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 16 March 2006 - 03:13 PM

Most precise syncing is done in programs like Pro Tools and such were you're not bound by frames. Almost all non linear editors will only allow you to sync up sound to each frame of video,

Premeire (i dont knwo about elements but everything after 5.0) has a feature that allows you to slip audio up to 1/30 of a second in very fine increments. True its not nearly as good as pro tools, audition or anyother software set up specifically for audio, but you can sync audio to less than a frame in premiere. I believe other professional programs offer that as well.

#5 David Sweetman

David Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Student

Posted 16 March 2006 - 03:32 PM

Premeire (i dont knwo about elements but everything after 5.0) has a feature that allows you to slip audio up to 1/30 of a second in very fine increments. True its not nearly as good as pro tools, audition or anyother software set up specifically for audio, but you can sync audio to less than a frame in premiere. I believe other professional programs offer that as well.

1/30 of a second would be every fame. There are 30 frames in a second.

It sounds like you're on a PC, in this case, I would say, hands down, Avid Xpress Pro is the way to go. You're a student, so you can get it incredibly cheap at www.journeyed.com - $295. (that's where I got mine.) For a 1500 dollar program, that's quite a bargain, PLUS, you'll be learning a program used in the real world by actual filmmakers. That alone is worth the 200 extra over the other Premiere software that was cited.

#6 David Sweetman

David Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Student

Posted 16 March 2006 - 05:00 PM

Oh and functionally, syncing at single-frame intervals is enough precision. I guess if you really wanted less than a frame of adjustment, you could export the audio, open it up in the free version of Acid, cut out the 'less than a frame', render it as an aiff and drop it back into your editing program. But you'll find that it most every case, the audio will line up to your satisfaction.

CineTape

CineLab

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

The Slider

FJS International, LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Opal

Glidecam

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc