Long shaft editing arms set up question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Carter

Michael Carter
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2006 - 10:29 AM

I want to edit A & B rolls along with mag stock. How do I keep the reels from spinning on the long shaft? The spring clamps do not have anything to keep reels from spinning. Spacers I've seen are also smooth on both ends. Is there another thing that screws on like the hub on the end for the first reel? Do you need to get a hub for each reel? What are they called? I've never never seen any for sale, only shafts, spacers and spring clamps.
Thanks.

#2 Clive Tobin

Clive Tobin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Spokane Valley, WA, USA

Posted 14 March 2006 - 08:41 PM

I want to edit A & B rolls along with mag stock. How do I keep the reels from spinning on the long shaft? The spring clamps do not have anything to keep reels from spinning. Spacers I've seen are also smooth on both ends. Is there another thing that screws on like the hub on the end for the first reel? Do you need to get a hub for each reel? What are they called? I've never never seen any for sale, only shafts, spacers and spring clamps.
Thanks.

The spacers have a keyway that engages the groove in the long rewind shaft. So all the reels are driven by friction between the spacers and the reels.

#3 Michael Carter

Michael Carter
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:22 AM

The spacers have a keyway that engages the groove in the long rewind shaft. So all the reels are driven by friction between the spacers and the reels.

Yea, that seems to be the case. Using a spacer with that key in the groove would make it impossible to use a key like at the hub for the first reel on all the other reels. One long key for all the reels wouldn't work.
It just doesn't seem possible that the reels will stay in alignment and that sync would be lost if something like a editor viewer or a counter got tight.
I'd mark each in a line to make sure they remain in alignment.

#4 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 15 March 2006 - 09:49 PM

It just doesn't seem possible that the reels will stay in alignment and that sync would be lost if something like a editor viewer or a counter got tight.
I'd mark each in a line to make sure they remain in alignment.

Probaly a feature-not-a-bug. If one roll gets tight, it will slip and not snap the film?

#5 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2426 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 16 March 2006 - 05:05 AM

You're not actually supposed to use the rewinds to transport the film, especially with multiple strands. You use the handle or motor on the synchroniser, the film and mag drop into bins, and you wind it onto the reels every 50-100' or so.

#6 Michael Carter

Michael Carter
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:39 AM

You're not actually supposed to use the rewinds to transport the film, especially with multiple strands. You use the handle or motor on the synchroniser, the film and mag drop into bins, and you wind it onto the reels every 50-100' or so.

Now that makes sence. Then, the counter sync block would need to be after the viewer.
However, a squack box needs to be used faster than one could turn the wheel.

I guess you had to be there.

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products