#1 Tommy T

Tommy T
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Student

Posted 14 March 2006 - 07:39 PM

Hello All...

If I were to intentionally overexpose Koday Vision2 16mm 200T by one full stop...is it best to tell the lab and let them perform some forced processing or just let them process it from the grey card with no special notes. Will the results vary in any way? The purpose of the questions deals with eliminating grain and getting a sharper image at the most affordble price.

Thank you in advance.

#2 Laurent Andrieux

Laurent Andrieux
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1527 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • France

Posted 14 March 2006 - 10:56 PM

This stock is not very grainy...

You could either ask for a pull process (the push process is when you underexpose the stock). It would lower contrast and grain.

But you could use 7212 (100 ISo) instead of 17 (200), just as well.

You can also make a test and see what it looks like (comparing the stock exposed normally to the same stock overexposed and telling the lab to only correct it at the TK/printing and see what it looks like).

The overexposition won't be that satysfying if you process normally and go TK...

#3 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 16 March 2006 - 09:56 AM

Hello All...

If I were to intentionally overexpose Koday Vision2 16mm 200T by one full stop...is it best to tell the lab and let them perform some forced processing or just let them process it from the grey card with no special notes. Will the results vary in any way? The purpose of the questions deals with eliminating grain and getting a sharper image at the most affordble price.

Thank you in advance.

One stop of overexposure is well within the latitude of the VISION2 stocks. You will see more shadow detail, richer blacks, and a bit less graininess. Process normally. Pull processing can be used if you want to reduce the contrast a bit.

Serious overexposure can result in a negative that doesn't print within the normal range of the lab's additive printer setup, or results in added electronic noise during telecine transfer.

#4 John Atala

John Atala
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • L.A. & Rio de Janeiro

Posted 22 March 2006 - 06:58 PM

I've Recently shot a short film on the 200T 17 with your same intentions.
I've shot overexposing 1 to 1 1/2 stops and the film held great. I didn't tell the lab, they processed it normally. I took it to telecine and the grain was amazingly low. We shot under sun light, and still the highlights never lost it. On the telecine we were able to save a 4 stop overexposed shot (bad exposure) and it came out great.

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape

Paralinx LLC