Cine-Kodak Editor Viewer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Carter

Michael Carter
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:29 AM

I have a Cine-Kodak Editor Viewer kit in a box. It has a label on the viewer and it says B-16. The box, however, has a label that says 8mm. ???
The drive wheel on the viewer is missing.
Anyone have it? It drives me nuts not to have it!
In trying to get it up and running I've bought two more viewers - one just an hour ago. One should work.
Was there a A-16? The B seems to be made for 8mm AND 16mm. The base of the shaft that holds the drive wheel is higher than the lower side of 16mm film???
It is a really cool little kit. The picture is visable clearly in daylight and shows most of the 16mm frame. Some of the right side is cut off.
I am wondering if the image will wobble when run at speed or if it will be rock solid as I hope.

enough of this and back to work

#2 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:32 PM

I have a Cine-Kodak Editor Viewer kit in a box. It has a label on the viewer and it says B-16.
The drive wheel on the viewer is missing.
Anyone have it? It drives me nuts not to have it!
The base of the shaft that holds the drive wheel is higher than the lower side of 16mm film???
I am wondering if the image will wobble when run at speed or if it will be rock solid as I hope.

Looking at the unit, the base of the shaft does come up a bit higher, but the sproket is conventional with a blank part on the soundtrack area, and 8 "perferation holders"

The film path does line up! The black cilinder in the light path is the Prisim shutter. which is geared to the drive sprocket. The unit gives a flickering picture with some travel ghosts, which is adaqute for home movie editing which is the intened use. I have not tried to clean the prisim on mine, - that may improve the apperent steadyness.

There was an 8mm version, which from the pictures I have seen used the same case but would have needed differnt gearing, or a different shutter..

The Craig Viewers were simalar but with a larger screen (Sorry John P :) )

#3 Michael Carter

Michael Carter
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:47 AM

Looking at the unit, the base of the shaft does come up a bit higher, but the sproket is conventional with a blank part on the soundtrack area, and 8 "perferation holders"

The film path does line up! The black cilinder in the light path is the Prisim shutter. which is geared to the drive sprocket. The unit gives a flickering picture with some travel ghosts, which is adaqute for home movie editing which is the intened use. I have not tried to clean the prisim on mine, - that may improve the apperent steadyness.

There was an 8mm version, which from the pictures I have seen used the same case but would have needed differnt gearing, or a different shutter..

The Craig Viewers were simalar but with a larger screen (Sorry John P :) )

A sproket wheel from a Keystone 16mm camera put onto the drive shaft does not fit. The teeth are higher than the slot for them. About 3/16 would need to be removed to make it low enough to be used.
I do not know how the gears are set in turning the spinning mirrors, if it is for 80fpf or 40 frames per foot. I suspect that it is set for 40 and R8 skips a frame each time.

Inside the box, way in a corner, some film scraps were found. There are three of them. Each is only a part of a frame. Two pieces show a baby clearly in a boat on a lake and the other show parents in a dark interior. All three, less than one frame of 16mm film, were put into a glass slide and viewed with a loupe. That is really cool to see people from, the 30's?, in that box. The only scraps in there held faces. Nice color, too.

I'm glad that someone else has one of these things.

#4 Michael Carter

Michael Carter
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:50 PM

Got them. One is a B-8mm; it is gray; the wheels are all 8mm and none of them would fit on a B-16mm version. The device holding down the drive wheel is the same looking.
The B-16mm is gray. Mine in the box is brown. So, I swapped out the drive wheel and the screw holding it on. It fit perfectly. Everything now works for the editor in a box. The B-8mm even slips in place of the B-16 if I desire to edit Regular 8mm film. A booklet that was written for both editors was included.
The 'new' B-16mm is dirtier than my older brown one and it runs stiffer, but it ran as it should, and, now it is missing the drive wheel. THat wheel is hollowed out under it so it fits down over the holder some. I figured that would be how it had been done. The thing I did not know was if R8 film could play on it. Not correctly as on a b-8.
There is a picture of it showing a 16mm film on my web site under "film"

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Glidecam