8 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:30 AM

I have seen these a number of times now on eBay, associated with the Arriflex 16S and S/B cameras, and I figured it has something to do with sound capture, but can't quite figure out what.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Usually the first one is referred to as a "sound module" or something like that, and the second one is referred to as an Arri amplifier. Do these have something to do with using a Nagra to record sound? And if so, what?

Thanks for any and all info.
-Tim Carroll

#2 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 15 March 2006 - 11:12 AM

Just found out. The sound module went inside an Arriflex 16BL (or 16M I suppose) and recorded sound right on a magnetic strip that was attached to the film. They don't make that kind of film anymore from what I understand. And I guess the amp is what you plugged your microphones to and sent the signal back into the camera. Funny that folks are selling this with the Arriflex 16S/B, as it will not work with that camera because the sound module needs to mount inside the camera(and the fact that you cannot get the film anymore).

-Tim

#3 Laurent Andrieux

Laurent Andrieux
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1527 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • France

Posted 15 March 2006 - 01:06 PM

The 16 BL. Yes it's called the "single sound system", if I'm right. Of course it's obsolete by now, but I've been told it had been used on news gathering. You had a sound, synchronized with the image, and could edit and broadcast it easily.

Any veteran around here used it so he could give comments on its use ?

#4 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:24 AM

Crappy sound quality with lots of noise, wow & flutter and other such things. Like bad AM radio. Done only for TV news. Heavy and made mag reloads much longer too. Glad those days are long gone.

#5 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 16 March 2006 - 11:50 AM

Pre-striped VNF newsfilms have not been made for years. Today, when coating magnetic media, the solvent vapors must be recovered, and so only high volume uses like videotape can justify the high capital cost of efficiently capturing and recycling all the solvent vapors.

#6 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11939 posts
  • Other

Posted 16 March 2006 - 06:58 PM

Hi,

Couldn't you put fully-coated mag stock through it?

Phil

#7 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 17 March 2006 - 01:25 AM

Hi,

Couldn't you put fully-coated mag stock through it?

Phil

I guess it might work, but that would make some 16BLEQ the world's most awkward portable tape deck. Expensive to use, crappy sound, short run times, heavy as a bucket of bricks... Sign me up.

#8 David Sweetman

David Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Student

Posted 17 March 2006 - 03:14 AM

The seller probably doesn't even know what it is, or maybe he tried to sell it on its own, and when it didn't sell, he combined it with the 16s so some sap who doesn't know what it is will bid higher for the camera. Either way...I don't like this guy

#9 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 17 March 2006 - 09:51 AM

The seller probably doesn't even know what it is, or maybe he tried to sell it on its own, and when it didn't sell, he combined it with the 16s so some sap who doesn't know what it is will bid higher for the camera. Either way...I don't like this guy

Honest mistake. I contacted the seller and explained to her that the sound module and amp don't go with that camera and she apologized and removed them from the auction. She runs one of those "Sell it for you on eBay" shops and just lists what people bring in to her to sell. That package came from some guy named George Klucky who made a career out of making hunting and fishing videos. It's a decent package in not terribly good shape and quite overpriced. I guess maybe someone who has all his videos might buy it as a collector's piece or something.

-Tim Carroll

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS