Chris Reilly

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 15 March 2006 - 03:07 PM

I am looking to buy some lights for photography and for helping on films. I don't have the money to buy new equipment. I want to buy at least 3 lights (650 watts or higher) for under $600. Possibly also with barn doors, scrims and stands. I don't mind if they are used. If anyone can direct me to a place that sells used lights please let me know.

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 15 March 2006 - 11:40 PM

I am looking to buy some lights for photography and for helping on films. I don't have the money to buy new equipment. I want to buy at least 3 lights (650 watts or higher) for under $600. Possibly also with barn doors, scrims and stands. I don't mind if they are used. If anyone can direct me to a place that sells used lights please let me know.

The only thing you'll get for under $600 is perhaps used lowel DP lights or something. I'd save your money for a while if you want to get nicer more controllable fixtures.

#3 Rupert MacCarthy-Morrogh

Rupert MacCarthy-Morrogh
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Cork, Ireland

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:32 PM

[quote name='Chris Reilly' date='Mar 15 2006, 08:07 PM' post='95877']
I am looking to buy some lights for photography and for helping on films. I don't have the money to buy new equipment. I want to buy at least 3 lights (650 watts or higher) for under $600.

Try these guys, their a long way from a kit of Arris' but you get a hell of a lot for $600
http://www.rostronics.com/

#4 Michael LaVoie

Michael LaVoie
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 19 March 2006 - 10:05 PM

If you're on a budget like that you might want to consider buying some tungsten home depot work lights for 20 bucks a piece and spend the bulk of the dough on C-stands , flags, nets, frames, diffusion, blackwrap and gels. The grip gear and gaffing tools are really the paint brush of your lighting package anyway. More so than the actual fixture. At least this way you'll have tools to help control natural light as well when you're using daylight. China lanterns are also a wonderful softlight tool that cost very little and are extremely easy to use that is, if you have a few C-stands to rig them to.

Edited by Michael LaVoie, 19 March 2006 - 10:08 PM.

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc