4 replies to this topic

#1 Rupe Whiteman

Rupe Whiteman
  • Sustaining Members
  • 336 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 March 2006 - 09:17 AM

Hi everyone,

... Am interested to know if anyone out there has extensively tested or used the movietube st system, and if so with what lenses - arri pl, leica or Nikon?? It looks potentially like a great system. Have you used it and blown up to film? How much light loss did the system create and was this a big problem?

... I'm hoping there might be one on display at the BSC tomorrow at Elstree...

Regards,

Rupe Whiteman

#2 peter orland

peter orland
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 04:43 PM

Hi.

They talk a bit about it along with the Mini35, the Cinemek and the M2 toward the end of this link.

http://www.showreel....article.php?172

Hope it's of use.

#3 Nathan Milford

Nathan Milford
  • Sustaining Members
  • 692 posts
  • Director
  • New York, NY

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:40 PM

If you're in NYC we have a demo unit on our showroom floor.

I'm probably going to shoot a test with it for the HVX for a film-out sometime before NAB.

#4 Brant Collins

Brant Collins
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Producer
  • Little Rock, Arkansas

Posted 17 March 2006 - 06:42 PM

Nathan, could you post some footage from your test?

#5 Rupe Whiteman

Rupe Whiteman
  • Sustaining Members
  • 336 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 17 March 2006 - 07:52 PM

Hi everyone,

... Am interested to know if anyone out there has extensively tested or used the movietube st system, and if so with what lenses - arri pl, leica or Nikon?? It looks potentially like a great system. Have you used it and blown up to film? How much light loss did the system create and was this a big problem?

... I'm hoping there might be one on display at the BSC tomorrow at Elstree...

Regards,

Rupe Whiteman

Today at the BSC show ... Had a look at the machine in the flesh and was impressed. It was being demo'd by the designer/co.directors and the UK agents South London Filters... the St version was hooked up to a Z1 with an Arri 18mm and the Lt to the small sony hdv camera (can't remember it's stupid code...nb why don't video cameras have simple names and numbers?!)... I digress - It is built like an Arri and has the proper feel and versatility of a movie camera. They've obviously thought long and hard about it and put the hours in in testing... the attached evf was the sony digi-beta kind (it also takes a panasonic 'finder) and it was nice to focus with the f/focus. The shoulder mount fits well and by sliding the battery pack up and down the rods you can counter-balance the weight of the lens you fit on the front... simple and clever. The Z1 lens zoom was set to 25mm and the focus to infinity, a rubber mount prevents light leakage/'fogging' where the Z1 meets the unit. It comes with a standard pl adaptor mount and you can get leica, nikon mounts etc.

... the more I've thought about it the more impressed I've been. The only main drawback is the stop-loss through the prism - aproximately 2 stops. They said you can counter this with hdv cams with increasing the gain without inducing grain/noise - add 9db and you're more or less back where you started... I'd like to test this and look at a good hd monitor to be sure... seeing is believing.. but again through the viewfinder you could already see a lovely filmic dof... and the lens flaring etc is all from the film lens... basically the Z1 becomes a recording head for the far (far) superior arri optics...

- what interests me is that as smaller cameras get more sophisticated and as chips get even better the movietube will not be obselete - they will always fit! -

... they're talking about eventually developing it with h-def evf's but the cost issues are prohibitive right now. I'm seriously thinking about ordering one in the summer... I looked at the P+s on a dvx100 and thought the movietube much better, more refined and offering more with the shoulder mount, battery mount and viewfinder. The St is going to retail here for around £7k plus you'd need to add around £500 for the evf and the same again for a battery pack. Note - If you'd want to use a zoom you'd need one of the 'brick anton bauer's to balance...

All in all a great invention....

nb - I also had a look at the Arri D20 - wow! - it's ugly but the pictures are stunning - a year or 2 from now and it'll be taking over!

That's all follks,

Rupe W

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC